• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice wanted :)

Rach94x

New Kit
Hey :wave: , new here, my names Rachel and I have a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit.

Long story short, I have a very unexpected litter, I woke up to a baby roaming around my bunnies cage therefore took her to the vet and she had six in total. Unfortunately I was informed she is producing no milk and I was to hand rear the babies. Unfortunately I have lost one.

The babies are now 10 days old today, however I am struggling to gain advice for them. My vet had said to phone anytime for advice and when I have just shrugs me off and tells me to contact a local charity however I have tried and no response. (I understand the pandemic etc)

This brings me to you guys. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

What I have been reading online is very contradictive at times, therefore I would rather ask people who may have experience. I want to know when I should start introducing them to bunny pellets, hay water etc?

None of them have opened their eyes yet, they are all gaining weight really well. I was told to follow the advice for feeding from the vets that they where to be fed 1-1.5ml every two hours for the first week then if they are still looking for more to increase this. I have done that, they are all roughly eating between 10-15ml per day and not every two hours anymore plus I leave them longer through the night as within the first week they where not interested.

I have been reading various information about how their gut changes and they may need certain stuff such as probiotic powder added to their milk/water? I found one on Amazon called Vetark Pro-C?

Really I am just looking for some guidance and advice. I want to do my absolute best by them.

Sorry for the long winded post. Many thanks

Rachel

Hi. There is a lot of info in the Health stickies on rearing baby rabbits. Good luck. Is Mum still in with them?

Hey, thank you I actually just found the information there at the moment, just been having a read and it states I should be introducing them to alfalfa hay and food at around 12 days old? They haven't opened their eyes just yet. No unfortunately mum is not with them,when I took her to the vet and they had her with her babies they said she tried to attack them :( so they are without mum. They are in a box, a Pets at Home box actually, with a snugglesafe wrapped up and then a blanket on top of that and then in a smaller tub with some blankets to keep them warm so as not to much heat as snugglesafes get really warm.

I'll make a new thread for you re hand-rearing babies as I am sure someone on here has experience.

I hand reared a litter left outside the vet practice I was working at, at around 10 days old. The RWAF recommend following this, which is what I did:

https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/hand-rearing/

They opened their eyes at 12 days old I believe, and straight away I put pellets (excel junior pellets) and hay in with them and was surprised to see straight away they were nibbling hay and soon after pellets. So I would give them access to hay at least. I introduced a water bottle shortly after but they didn't use it straight away, I think they were more like 20 days old before they did. I didn't introduce any veg/herbs etc until they were 12 weeks old, and did it very slowly and gradually as I read hand reared kits can struggle with this. I didn't give them a probiotic

I hand reared a litter left outside the vet practice I was working at, at around 10 days old. The RWAF recommend following this, which is what I did:

They opened their eyes at 12 days old I believe, and straight away I put pellets (excel junior pellets) and hay in with them and was surprised to see straight away they were nibbling hay and soon after pellets. So I would give them access to hay at least. I introduced a water bottle shortly after but they didn't use it straight away, I think they were more like 20 days old before they did. I didn't introduce any veg/herbs etc until they were 12 weeks old, and did it very slowly and gradually as I read hand reared kits can struggle with this. I didn't give them a probiotic

Thank you so much for your advice, I will have a read at the link you have attached.

They haven’t opened their eyes yet but are all gaining weight and all eating very well. One eyes are open I will put others such as pellets and hay in with them. I bought excel 1+ weeks junior food for them today as the mother is on the adult version and I also ordered alfalfa hay from amazon which is arriving tomorrow.

Again just wondering about the whole probiotic thing as from what I’m reading they have very sensitive guts and they are getting no bacteria from mum.

Again thank you for your advice and it’s amazing what you did for they bunnies. I hope luck will be on my side with these bunnies and I will try my hardest with them to ensure I do what I can.

Rachel

They haven’t opened their eyes yet but are all gaining weight and all eating very well. One eyes are open I will put others such as pellets and hay in with them. I bought excel 1+ weeks junior food for them today as the mother is on the adult version and I also ordered alfalfa hay from amazon which is arriving tomorrow.

Again just wondering about the whole probiotic thing as from what I’m reading they have very sensitive guts and they are getting no bacteria from mum.

Again thank you for your advice and it’s amazing what you did for they bunnies. I hope luck will be on my side with these bunnies and I will try my hardest with them to ensure I do what I can.

Rachel

If the Kits are now about 2 weeks old and their eyes are still not open you need to gently bathe them using a sterile dressing pad and cooled boiled water. Otherwise they could end up with 'nest box eye'

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Newborn/Shut_eyelids_en.html

Re adding a probiotic , I would add one containing Lactobacillus casei such as Bene Bac Plus https://www.vetsend.co.uk/bene-bac-plus-pet/

More info on the role of L Casei here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Newb/Newborn.htm

Six is a large litter for a ND doe. You have done an awesome job hand feeding the babies and getting them to this point. You are right to be careful with the babies as them move to pellets/hay. You may even want to limit the amount of pellets they get initially while you introduce hay.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your little darlings.

You don't know anyone with a Doe who has babies who might take yours under her wing. It's a bit of a long shot I think.

Yes I agree with Jane re bathing their eyes, mine opened their eyes at 12/13 days. I think the article I posted says about 4 weeks old their gut changes and that's the most dangerous time for them, I did loose one at this stage and had a PM done. So adding a probiotic may be helpful. Some websites also recommend offering the caecotrophs from the mum if you can get any, but may be worth checking that advice on the links posted. Best of luck with them!

If the Kits are now about 2 weeks old and their eyes are still not open you need to gently bathe them using a sterile dressing pad and cooled boiled water. Otherwise they could end up with 'nest box eye'

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Newborn/Shut_eyelids_en.html

Re adding a probiotic , I would add one containing Lactobacillus casei such as Bene Bac Plus https://www.vetsend.co.uk/bene-bac-plus-pet/

More info on the role of L Casei here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Newb/Newborn.htm

The babies are now eleven days old do you suggest I do this now? Or wait another few days?

Thank you I will have a look at this link and purchase, I have seen with most it’s a sprinkle on food or added into water/milk?

Thanks

Six is a large litter for a ND doe. You have done an awesome job hand feeding the babies and getting them to this point. You are right to be careful with the babies as them move to pellets/hay. You may even want to limit the amount of pellets they get initially while you introduce hay.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your little darlings.

Yeah the vet said the same thing unfortunately I lost one at around four days, it was so small compared to the rest but I felt absolutely terrible. I wasn’t expecting them but now they are here I’m doing all I can for them.

I will definitely limit what they get when they are introduced and I will definitely post some pictures.

Thanks

You don't know anyone with a Doe who has babies who might take yours under her wing. It's a bit of a long shot I think.

I know of nobody that could have done it as it would have been the best option for them as I know chances of survival are a lot slimmer which worries me but I’ll try my best by them.

Yes I agree with Jane re bathing their eyes, mine opened their eyes at 12/13 days. I think the article I posted says about 4 weeks old their gut changes and that's the most dangerous time for them, I did loose one at this stage and had a PM done. So adding a probiotic may be helpful. Some websites also recommend offering the caecotrophs from the mum if you can get any, but may be worth checking that advice on the links posted. Best of luck with them!

Yeah, they are eleven days old today so I’m wondering whether I should give them until 14 days to open or not?

Oh I’m so sorry you lost one this is my fear but I have been told to be prepared, just hard as grow attached to them all!

I did read that and then on another article I read not to and add probiotic. I will definitely invest in the probiotic for them anyways and I will have a further read into the caecotrophs from mum advice.

Many thanks

The babies are now eleven days old do you suggest I do this now? Or wait another few days?

Thank you I will have a look at this link and purchase, I have seen with most it’s a sprinkle on food or added into water/milk?

Thanks

You can add the Bene Bac to their milk feeds. I'd not leave the eyes unattended if they are not open by 12 days x

Back