• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Eating Cat Food

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Uh yeah, you read that right.

Athena is now fully free range. This morning I caught her in the kitchen eating the cats' dried food (Iams if anyone is interested in the brand).

Will it do her any harm?

Of course I am going to discourage her as much as possible and alter the feeding pattern of the cats to try and stop it. But yeah, will it hurt her?

BabySuttonwithSaffie.jpg

As you can see, I had the same problem. I think I resorted to not leaving food down and putting my rabbit in his pen when I fed my cats.

I think from what I have read in the past you should be careful as cat food may/will contain meat. Rabbits' digestive systems are NOT designed to eat meat and therefore this could make them very ill. I personally would advise that when you feed your cats, you secure your bunny somewhere so he can't get at it. If the cats do not finish the food and you wish to let out your rabbit again, you really have no choice other than to move the cat food to a place inaccessible by your rabbit.

Thank you. The cats scarf down wet food, so we are going to feed them that in the mornings and dried overnight when she is more secured.

I had this same issue twice now!! I caught her after a few bites but I'll have to keep the cat food up until Lola goes back into her bunny room.
I can't believe the cat did NOTHING! Have some self-respect, Vera... don't let the bunny eat your food!! For shame :p LOL

Back