• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage rest

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
One of my buns is on cage rest at the moment because he has sprained his leg, he's on Metacam but how can I make him more comfortable and less bored? He seems to like resting on top of his house which is hard and flat, would he benefit from a nice comfy blanket to lie on? He seems ok in himself, he's eating and drinking fine but i don't want a depressed bun!

I don't know would he eat the blanket.But I would suggest to you to get a large hutch not a cage.Im not being mean or anything,it's just that rabbits shouldn't be kept in cages.if you have something your rabbit could sit in out hay in the base as if he eats the hay it won't harm him compared to eating carpet;D

I wish I could be more help,just pm me if you need help with anything else,
Rabbit1999

I don't know would he eat the blanket.But I would suggest to you to get a large hutch not a cage.Im not being mean or anything,it's just that rabbits shouldn't be kept in cages.if you have something your rabbit could sit in out hay in the base as if he eats the hay it won't harm him compared to eating carpet;D

Rabbit1999

Hiya,

Aww bless him.. I know exactly what you mean as my little bun is going be completely cage bound for at least 4 weeks and I'm already dreading it.

At the moment I have towels on the floor of his, as they keep him warm and it gives him grip when moving around. I find blankets might maybe slide sometimes, but of course it depends on what you bunny prefers.

I also have a cuddly toy against one side, as he does tend to cuddle up to this and catch him leaning against it too which is great when he's trying to groom himself.

With toys & treats, he's got a willow ball which he rolls around, he's got a cardboard toilet roll stuffed with different types of hay to keep him active. He has a small selection of herbs throughout the day, which I try and hide in different corners and in his hay, purely to keep him mobile.

Plus the most important give him loads of attention. I know it's hard to be there with them all the time, but Harvey has his sister next to him, about 4 inches away so again he doesn't feel so lonely. And I constantly chat away to him which I know relaxes him hearing my voice and having the tv on.

Again similar to you, I worry so much and hope this helps!

Xxx

Last edited:
Thank you :) I might try the towles! He must be lying on the platform for a reason but he doesn't really look comfortable so hopefully something softer will help!
I'll get creative with some toys! I tried him on Coriander last night and I think he's a fan!
We were having strokes this morning and he started licking my nose [emoji7] He's got his brother next door and they have been together since birth so he's always got some company, they are very cute together (so far)! Whenever I'm home I give him as much attention as possible so hopefully he is still happy and he won't get too down in the dumps. I am a worrier though!

Rabbit1999
Sorry, I didn't see this post yesterday! Weird considering it ended up being posted twice! He's not much of a chewer but I'll see how he gets on with a towel first :) They did have a 2 tier Rabbit Hutch but they are naughty boys so I've had to separate them for now by splitting it in two until I can get my hands on something else, looking at some nice big pens and eventually they should be free range buns if all goes to plan!

Thank you :) I might try the towles! He must be lying on the platform for a reason but he doesn't really look comfortable so hopefully something softer will help!
I'll get creative with some toys! I tried him on Coriander last night and I think he's a fan!
We were having strokes this morning and he started licking my nose [emoji7] He's got his brother next door and they have been together since birth so he's always got some company, they are very cute together (so far)! Whenever I'm home I give him as much attention as possible so hopefully he is still happy and he won't get too down in the dumps. I am a worrier though!

Aww bless him.. Well that sounds perfect to me, and I'm sure he's got a great bunny mum. It's hard work and constant worry but sending lots of vibes that his sprain heels quickly! Xx

Back