• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for a poorly old bun please?

tommyg

New Kit
Hello. I am not a regular here but I received some great help around a year ago so thought I'd try again.

We have a bun who is 3 months away from being 10. About 3 weeks before Christmas he had a weepy eye, wasn't quite so boisterous and slowly going off his food. A trip to the vets and he was given eye drops (forget the name) and Baytril oral susp' 2.5%. 0.7mls to be given twice daily. A few days before Christmas he was looking a lot better except his eye was weeping more. So another trip to the vets for his eye to be flushed and more Baytril. A week ago during another checkup his eye still had white gunk in it so the vet flushed it again, with me holding bun and told to continue with the Baytril.
During this time and up until now, he is eating adequate, and no toilet problems, but he is not eating as much as usual and is not bugging us for food when we go to the fridge. He used to try and get in the fridge to the salad tray. He is going to bed earlier after breakfast and getting up later in the evening for dinner. He's not running laps around the house or tearing the furniture up as he usually does. The fur around his eye is still a little sticky but there doesn't look to be any infection (comparing it to what I saw at the vets before the second eye flushing).

I understand he is old and has naturally slowed down but we can all see he is not his usual self. Due to age he cannot be considered for anything that will involve sedating him (unless critical) so thought I'd ask here for any advice or tips. This exact same thing happened the same time last year although he recovered quicker than he has this time. I also understand it could be a tooth causing the issue although he isn't having any issues with hard food. Its just his overall intake is less than normal but far more than when he first got sick.
There is a history of arthritis on his paternal side and he is a huge bun so now I'm wondering if that is an issue although I haven't noticed nothing strange in his movement except that its not as often as he is not fast at getting away when its medication time.

Any advice or tips you can offer will be gratefully received. If I've missed anything or my rambling has you questioning anything please point it out and I'll do my best to explain better. Thanks in advance.

I wonder all the time about my frail elderly girl bunny - now 12 - does she feel the pain of arthritis? She eats and runs and seems to enjoy life, but sleep seems to be a problem, as she doesn't appear comfortable. She's only truly happy in my lap. So if any advice, comfort your bunny as needed as the years go on. This is the second house bun we have brought into old age, and it's a privilege. We put our boy down when he became paralyzed. What a great life he had!

Hello. I am not a regular here but I received some great help around a year ago so thought I'd try again.

We have a bun who is 3 months away from being 10. About 3 weeks before Christmas he had a weepy eye, wasn't quite so boisterous and slowly going off his food. A trip to the vets and he was given eye drops (forget the name) and Baytril oral susp' 2.5%. 0.7mls to be given twice daily. A few days before Christmas he was looking a lot better except his eye was weeping more. So another trip to the vets for his eye to be flushed and more Baytril. A week ago during another checkup his eye still had white gunk in it so the vet flushed it again, with me holding bun and told to continue with the Baytril.
During this time and up until now, he is eating adequate, and no toilet problems, but he is not eating as much as usual and is not bugging us for food when we go to the fridge. He used to try and get in the fridge to the salad tray. He is going to bed earlier after breakfast and getting up later in the evening for dinner. He's not running laps around the house or tearing the furniture up as he usually does. The fur around his eye is still a little sticky but there doesn't look to be any infection (comparing it to what I saw at the vets before the second eye flushing).

I understand he is old and has naturally slowed down but we can all see he is not his usual self. Due to age he cannot be considered for anything that will involve sedating him (unless critical) so thought I'd ask here for any advice or tips. This exact same thing happened the same time last year although he recovered quicker than he has this time. I also understand it could be a tooth causing the issue although he isn't having any issues with hard food. Its just his overall intake is less than normal but far more than when he first got sick.
There is a history of arthritis on his paternal side and he is a huge bun so now I'm wondering if that is an issue although I haven't noticed nothing strange in his movement except that its not as often as he is not fast at getting away when its medication time.

Any advice or tips you can offer will be gratefully received. If I've missed anything or my rambling has you questioning anything please point it out and I'll do my best to explain better. Thanks in advance.

Hello

It may be that your Rabbit is feeling a bit uncomfortable, possibly due to age related arthritis. Has the Vet suggested prescribing him a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam to see if it helps.

Dental issues can occur in elderly Rabbits even if they have never had Dental problems before. If your Rabbit's eye issues are related to elongated tooth roots then this would cause him quite significant discomfort. In your situation I would consult the Vet again to see if he/she feels that a trial of daily Metacam may be appropriate.

Have you checked that your Rabbit does not have any sign of sore hocks ? This can become a problem for elderly Rabbits who have become less mobile, especially larger breeds and Rexes.

Thank you all so much for the replies and kind thoughts.
12 years old is amazing. We are hoping he can reach double figures. He loves to be petted but on his terms. He gets highly stressed when picked up and over the years we have learnt he is calmer if we sit on the floor and wait for him to come and snuggle next to us. As soon as we stop petting him he gets up and wanders off although will quite happily sit there for ages. I have tried bringing him up on the sofa for a snuggle but didn't want to cause him issues jumping off in case he was in pain. He seems comfortable when sleeping and often lays on his side or in what we call the planking position, where he lays flat with he back legs stretched out. We've tried giving him massages and although he stays calm it just causes him to groom himself.

I have only just today read about Metacam and wondered if the vet would prescribe this without a diagnosis as I don't think an x-ray is ideal for him being his age. I was going to see if anyone mentioned it. So thank you for that advice. A view of his teeth in his mouth shows one little spur but the vet doubts that is the issue although obviously we cant see the roots that way. Although it seems odd he has had the same issue for the past 2 years at exactly the same time. I would figure (and maybe I'm wrong) but if it was a root it was be an issue all the time.
His hocks seem fine and his bottom is checked daily and he is clean. Majority of the house is carpeted and his hutch tray is just used as a litter tray which gets cleaned every other day and it only contains a decent hay. We've recently cut the side off so he can just walk into it rather than having to jump the couple of inches into it.
We have 2 children older and 2 younger than bun and he causes us the most stress. Shows how easily they become part of the family.

Thank you all so much for the replies and kind thoughts.
12 years old is amazing. We are hoping he can reach double figures. He loves to be petted but on his terms. He gets highly stressed when picked up and over the years we have learnt he is calmer if we sit on the floor and wait for him to come and snuggle next to us. As soon as we stop petting him he gets up and wanders off although will quite happily sit there for ages. I have tried bringing him up on the sofa for a snuggle but didn't want to cause him issues jumping off in case he was in pain. He seems comfortable when sleeping and often lays on his side or in what we call the planking position, where he lays flat with he back legs stretched out. We've tried giving him massages and although he stays calm it just causes him to groom himself.

I have only just today read about Metacam and wondered if the vet would prescribe this without a diagnosis as I don't think an x-ray is ideal for him being his age. I was going to see if anyone mentioned it. So thank you for that advice. A view of his teeth in his mouth shows one little spur but the vet doubts that is the issue although obviously we cant see the roots that way. Although it seems odd he has had the same issue for the past 2 years at exactly the same time. I would figure (and maybe I'm wrong) but if it was a root it was be an issue all the time.
His hocks seem fine and his bottom is checked daily and he is clean. Majority of the house is carpeted and his hutch tray is just used as a litter tray which gets cleaned every other day and it only contains a decent hay. We've recently cut the side off so he can just walk into it rather than having to jump the couple of inches into it.
We have 2 children older and 2 younger than bun and he causes us the most stress. Shows how easily they become part of the family.

They certainly do !! It sounds as though your Rabbit has a very loving family to look after him. Oh that that were to be the case for all Pet Rabbits.

Do let us know what the Vet says about a trial of Metacam xx

I will. The nurse who knows him better is in tomorrow so I will personally go and speak with her. Thanks again but keep any advice for an aging rabbit coming. Maybe we are missing something.

Is he drinking any more than normal ? I expect that the Vet has kept a check on his weight and that he/she has had a good listen to his heart ?

We do see him drinking but not often so can't judge how much he takes daily although it certainly doesn't appear more than usual from the level in his bowl. He is a big bun but his weight has pretty much remained stable over the last few years. 2 different vets have listened to his heart (his regular vet was off during 2nd visit) and neither reported any issues. Gut sounded good too as he didn't need what I call the magic injection. Not sure the name but I'm sure you know which one I mean.

I don't know if this is any help at all but my Schumi lived until he was 12 and definitely slowed down after about 9.

He didn't go as mad when free-ranging, and definitely spent more time dozing.

:wave:

I will. The nurse who knows him better is in tomorrow so I will personally go and speak with her. Thanks again but keep any advice for an aging rabbit coming. Maybe we are missing something.

I think given his wonderful old age, you could perhaps discuss with the nurse a blood test. Older rabbits will undoubtedly have some sort of organ deterioration, and it could well be possible for him to have failing kidneys and even liver. This would cause him to be more lethargic and more importantly to put him off his food.

If kidney failure were an issue then he could have fluids periodically to make him feel more comfortable and you could discuss possible medication with your vet.

I personally would be loathe to start something like Metcam until you know his kidneys are working well, as it can be quite hard on liver/kidneys.

Good luck with your old fella :)

We do see him drinking but not often so can't judge how much he takes daily although it certainly doesn't appear more than usual from the level in his bowl. He is a big bun but his weight has pretty much remained stable over the last few years. 2 different vets have listened to his heart (his regular vet was off during 2nd visit) and neither reported any issues. Gut sounded good too as he didn't need what I call the magic injection. Not sure the name but I'm sure you know which one I mean.

Metoclopramide probably :)

I am glad all seems to be well heart wise and that his weight is stable. I asked about his drinking as older Rabbits can develop problems with their kidney function. It doesn't sound as though this is an issue for your Rabbit though. Has he had a full blood profile run recently ?

Sorry don't know how to quote individually but thank you for all the posts. They have been a great help.

He had full bloods and a heart x-ray around 5 years ago as for no reason he would go off his food and need the magic injection for his gut which cured him within hours. This though is different. They were 100% perfect then and I was told Enigma (the name the vet has given him) was a very healthy bun with a strong heart. I guess another round of bloods would be a good idea.

Mightymax I read that about Metcam which prompted me to ask here.

So I think first thing is full blood test so long as he wouldn't need sedating. Fingers crossed for us and we'll let you know how he gets on.

Sorry don't know how to quote individually but thank you for all the posts. They have been a great help.

He had full bloods and a heart x-ray around 5 years ago as for no reason he would go off his food and need the magic injection for his gut which cured him within hours. This though is different. They were 100% perfect then and I was told Enigma (the name the vet has given him) was a very healthy bun with a strong heart. I guess another round of bloods would be a good idea.

So I think first thing is full blood test so long as he wouldn't need sedating. Fingers crossed for us and we'll let you know how he gets on.

The bloods and Xrays taken 5 years ago are not really going to be of help now so I think it is a good idea to have another blood test taken. Sedation should not be necessary for this. Good luck xx

I think a complete blood profile would give you lots of info as to his general well being, and he would NOT need sedation to have blood taken. Not to say it's always easy as some rabbits just don't want to give us a drop, but a skilled vet will find a way.

Then you could at least go forward knowing what is or is not likely to be the problem.

Spoke with the nurse who said it can be hard taking blood from a bunny as veins are small and they need to be calm so could be a problem. Regular vet is off until Thursday so I've an appointment with him to get his advice. Thanks again for all the advice I'll let you know how we get on. x

Added: Found a local vet who would take bloods without sedation. They said sedation would make the veins smaller so would be harder.

Last edited:
Back