• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using Wood shavings in the litter trays.

Ailstar

Mama Doe
What are people's feelings about using wood shavings in litter trays (just in the trays and always covered by a thick layer of hay) just because I did use a straw pellet mix which is much heavier and therefore costs a fortune in postage from where I order it online. And then I had one packet of shavings left so I've started just using them in the litter trays to use them up and they last SO much longer than the pellets and are so much cheaper. I'm wondering if it would be ok to just switch permanently....

Pine shavings & sawdust is not recommended due to the toxic aromatics that cause respitory damage in small animals & rabbits, but I'm not sure if the shavings/sawdust that is now commercially available is made from pine or some other wood.

I personally use aubious which is a deep litter horse bedding, or hemcore wich is made from hemp and is light ( some people use carefresh, but I found it too dusty & exphensive). I get my aubious delivered free from my local pet shop, so maybe you could find a local pet shop or horse supply shop that could order something and deliver it to you.

Pine shavings & sawdust is not recommended due to the toxic aromatics that cause respitory damage in small animals & rabbits, but I'm not sure if the shavings/sawdust that is now commercially available is made from pine or some other wood.

I personally use aubious which is a deep litter horse bedding, or hemcore wich is made from hemp and is light ( some people use carefresh, but I found it too dusty & exphensive). I get my aubious delivered free from my local pet shop, so maybe you could find a local pet shop or horse supply shop that could order something and deliver it to you.

Yeah I know all that. I just wondered what people thought about it if it was only in the litter trays covered with a layer of hay. Personally I'd imagine that if the shavings are completely covered with hay there is much less chance of the shavings causes respiratory issues, because there is no direct contact. But if the consensus is that shavings are still a no go I will finish off those I have and carry on using the hay pellets. I like these, the delivery costs are just a bit painful!! :)

I'm not a fan of wood shavings at all, however they are used, because of the problems they can cause. I use a thick layer of newspaper, then hay, and change the litter trays daily.

I dont think id want to risk it even with a layer of hay over the top - I do what babise does, thick newspaper with hay over the top and it works wonders and isn't expensive either! :D

I avoid where possible. Have you considered something like aubiose? More absorbent than shavings and probably cheaper than the straw pellets :wave:

I use woodchips with hay on top. I can't imagine how it would cause problems if they're not exposed to it

I think it would still be unecessary dust. I use a layer of newspaper then a layer of hay and clean regularly and that works well

Just to be controversial it seems(!!) I use woodshavings and always have done and never had any problems with them - no illness, respiratory problems etc. There are some bales available with strong phenol fumes but I don't use those nor the thick shavings which are less absorbent and can be abrasive on thinly-furred feet.

I find the Woodpecker (and similar) bales are good with soft, white shavings and no fumes.

The only problem when used indoors is that the dust can be trodden into carpets but it's easily vacuumed up.

I use newspaper, straw and hay on the top. Its great (and cheap).

I use fitch for the guinea pigs which is light weight and really absorbent.

Fitch would be my first choice except that I literally have nowhere to store something that big!!

My girls' litter tray has a newspaper at the bottom and is covered with a handful of woodshavings. Never had any problems with it. When they go on "holiday" the whole of the base of their shed has an incredibly thick layer of woodshavings and again, no problems have arisen to date.

I believe that because the shavings are dried the potential for fumes off pine shavings in particular is quite minimal. Dust may be a problem however. I have purchased shavings in the past which even I thought were a bit dusty, but again didn't have any problems. Just luck? Maybe. But I won't change unless I have to.

However, this is food for thought for you all against shavings and for straw:

My horse is bedded down on straw in the winter. This year it gave her a chest infection due to the dust in it. Ended up with a vet call out, a week's worth of antibiotics and a breatheasy type medicine. Cost me £150. She ended up being bedded down on shavings to ease the dust particles.

So I firmly believe that shavings are better than straw!

Back