• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Bunny GI Stasis- PLEASE HELP

I got my little bunny Coconut a week ago and he has been very sick for a couple of days now (he's only 2 months old). I noticed that his urine was gel-like, he wasn't eating and was constantly grinding his teeth in pain. Meanwhile, his sister bunny was very active with a healthy appetite. Since they're just babies, I had them only eating timothy hay and pellets. I introduced a bit of parsley into their diet and I'm wondering if this is what caused Coconut to get sick. I immediately stopped feeding my rabbits greens.

I took Coconut to the vet who diagnosed him with GI Stasis and gave me a motility drug and oxbow critical care to syringe feed him. Coconut absolutely hates being syringe fed and every time I do it I feel like I'm causing him stress. I gave him the drugs and critical care for 24 hours and he wasn't getting better. At this point he hadn't pooped for 24 hours and still wasn't eating. He was occasionally sipping on his water though. So last night I took him to the Animal ER and they did an x-ray. They determined that there was no foreign object causing a blockage.

They were very unsympathetic and I felt that they were just after my money. The vet said that there was not much they could do and that Coconut might not do well in surgery. They suggested that I have him stay at the hospital over night for $1500 and try surgery anyway for another $1500. I'm a university student and can absolutely not afford that. I let them know and they suggested that I have him euthanized...

I asked that they give him fluids and a painkiller instead(based on what I had read about GI Stasis). The night at the Animal ER ended up costing me $400 and I was there for over 3 hours. I took my poor little buns home and continued feeding him critical care. This morning there was still no poop, he was still sitting in a corner and there was gel in the urine. Right before I left for class this morning I noticed him (miraculously) nibbling on his Hay!

At this point I really don't know what to do. If he is in pain maybe the best thing to do is put him down. He is very bloated but it's getting a bit better. The fact that he's nibbling his hay again is a good sign right? I've only had him for a week but I already love him so much! He's such a sweet bunny and loves to cuddle and hop into my lap. He was so energetic when I first brought him home and his sister is fine. And the breeder is being no help at all, not even returning my calls.

So I guess that these are the questions I have for all of you experienced bunny owners:
- what caused the GI stasis?
- when can I start feeding them greens? (the breeder won't get back to be about whether or not the mother was eating greens)
- will my little buns make it?
- what's the best thing to do at this point?
- i've had coconut for a week and it's already cost me more than $500 in vet bills I really can't afford this but I'm not just going to let him suffer and die

Thank you in advance any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Coconut is so poorly :( yes they really are too young to be having greens, i would wait another couple of months at least, especially after this. Are you in the US? Your vet doesn't sound very bunny savvy :( is there a different practice you could try? Have you got gut motility drugs to give him at home? If he doesn't have a blockage i think he needs these, and plenty of fluids too. It's good he's started nibbling hay, i hope he continues. I really hope you can get him through this :( x

I'm so sorry Coconut is so poorly :( yes they really are too young to be having greens, i would wait another couple of months at least, especially after this. Are you in the US? Your vet doesn't sound very bunny savvy :( is there a different practice you could try? Have you got gut motility drugs to give him at home? If he doesn't have a blockage i think he needs these, and plenty of fluids too. It's good he's started nibbling hay, i hope he continues. I really hope you can get him through this :( x

Thank you for your kind words. I'm in Canada. Yes I definitely need to find a better vet. I have the gut motility drugs at home but the vet at the emergency clinic said to stop giving it :(

Thank you for your kind words. I'm in Canada. Yes I definitely need to find a better vet. I have the gut motility drugs at home but the vet at the emergency clinic said to stop giving it :(

Did he say why you should stop giving it? :? I'm really sorry, i wish i could help more :( hopefully more people will see this in the morning and be able to give you better advice x

I'm sorry I'm not very good at this but wanted to wish your bunny a speedy recovery so hope he's better soon for you

Oh my word, you poor thing.

Ok, as I understand it, an x-Ray has ruled out the blockage. Therefore, if there is no or little poo and you have gut mobility drugs there, I can't see an immediate reason for not giving them (unless he's on any other meds?).

Do you have any pain-killer? That can act as an anti-inflammatory too.

Wee - is it thick/white? If so, there could be calcium deposits in there.

Any sign of infection? - hot ears and/or lips?

I would definitely stop the greens for now but try to get him to eat. Sometimes buns will take critical care off a plate. You could also mush up some pellets if they'd go down better.

He will need a lot of TLC over the next few hours. Very gentle tummy massages may help. Lots of gentle strokes are soothing for bunnies in pain too.

I would also try to find a better vet to get some further advice. It's a long shot, but where in Canada are you?

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluids are really essential for this little one now plus the motility drugs plus some non steroidal anti inflammatory such as metacam or melixivet. The gel is not in uri e but from the gut lining as he has gut dysbiosis happening. He needs the syringe feed as it has vital probiotics. He really needs a good vet but if there dimply isnt one then ask thevrubbish vet fir biolapis and fir flyids given subcutaneously and help with being shown feeding. Keep trying to interest him in hay. No greens

Thank you everybody for the kind words and advice.

Still no poop or energy. The vet's reason for shopping the motility drugs: "we can see by the xray that there's no foreign object causing a blockage but a hairball or something like that would show up as the same colour as soft tissue on the xray so we can't be for sure."

Thank you everybody for the kind words and advice.

Still no poop or energy. The vet's reason for shopping the motility drugs: "we can see by the xray that there's no foreign object causing a blockage but a hairball or something like that would show up as the same colour as soft tissue on the xray so we can't be for sure."

There is no reason a very young rabbit would have a fur ball. Fur balls are also much less likely in rabbits than cats. Young rabbits frequntly suffer from a type of mucoud enteritis qhich gives these symptoms. Illness like this at this age can be fatal in just two or three days. Please try urgently to find a good rabbit vet. The rabbit needs fluids and pain relief.

If you are certain it is the urine that is thick, and that it's not mucous or a jelly like substance that he's pooping, then the thick urine would be an indication of a urinary problem, and the pain from this is likely the reason your rabbit developed stasis. Could maybe be a UTI or bladder sludge. If it was bladder sludge, it's possible it was due to the parsley. Was the urine tested at all?
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

If it's not thick urine, but a jelly like substance that came from pooping, this could be mucoid enteritis and may be extremely serious.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

I agree that fluids and pain relief are absolutely essential, and depending on what the issue is that caused the stasis, your bun may need other meds like antibiotics. If there is a urinary problem causing pain, your bun will continue to be depressed and lethargic, and not want to eat on his own, so that's why pain relief can be so important. Since an obstruction was ruled out, you will want to continue syringe feeding the critical care and water if he's still not eating much on his own, so that your bun stays hydrated and also you want to keep the GI tract moving, until you are able to figure out what is causing this. Even eating a little bit on his own is a good sign though.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Also you can take a look at these lists to see if there might be a better rabbit vet near you.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
vet list

Last edited:
I got my little bunny Coconut a week ago and he has been very sick for a couple of days now (he's only 2 months old). I noticed that his urine was gel-like, he wasn't eating and was constantly grinding his teeth in pain. Meanwhile, his sister bunny was very active with a healthy appetite. Since they're just babies, I had them only eating timothy hay and pellets. I introduced a bit of parsley into their diet and I'm wondering if this is what caused Coconut to get sick. I immediately stopped feeding my rabbits greens.

I took Coconut to the vet who diagnosed him with GI Stasis and gave me a motility drug and oxbow critical care to syringe feed him. Coconut absolutely hates being syringe fed and every time I do it I feel like I'm causing him stress. I gave him the drugs and critical care for 24 hours and he wasn't getting better. At this point he hadn't pooped for 24 hours and still wasn't eating. He was occasionally sipping on his water though. So last night I took him to the Animal ER and they did an x-ray. They determined that there was no foreign object causing a blockage.

They were very unsympathetic and I felt that they were just after my money. The vet said that there was not much they could do and that Coconut might not do well in surgery. They suggested that I have him stay at the hospital over night for $1500 and try surgery anyway for another $1500. I'm a university student and can absolutely not afford that. I let them know and they suggested that I have him euthanized...

I asked that they give him fluids and a painkiller instead(based on what I had read about GI Stasis). The night at the Animal ER ended up costing me $400 and I was there for over 3 hours. I took my poor little buns home and continued feeding him critical care. This morning there was still no poop, he was still sitting in a corner and there was gel in the urine. Right before I left for class this morning I noticed him (miraculously) nibbling on his Hay!

At this point I really don't know what to do. If he is in pain maybe the best thing to do is put him down. He is very bloated but it's getting a bit better. The fact that he's nibbling his hay again is a good sign right? I've only had him for a week but I already love him so much! He's such a sweet bunny and loves to cuddle and hop into my lap. He was so energetic when I first brought him home and his sister is fine. And the breeder is being no help at all, not even returning my calls.

So I guess that these are the questions I have for all of you experienced bunny owners:
- what caused the GI stasis?
- when can I start feeding them greens? (the breeder won't get back to be about whether or not the mother was eating greens)
- will my little buns make it?
- what's the best thing to do at this point?
- i've had coconut for a week and it's already cost me more than $500 in vet bills I really can't afford this but I'm not just going to let him suffer and die

Thank you in advance any advice is appreciated

I am sorry that Coconut is so ill :cry: It sounds as though he has mucoid enteritis and sadly this is extremely serious in baby Rabbits :cry:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Mucoid_EnteropathyRabbits.htm

He really needs to be admitted to the Vets for Intensive Care. If he has not yet passed away then do try to locate a Vet who can provide him with this. However, as you will see from the link above even with aggressive treatment ME in a Baby Rabbit has a very poor prognosis :cry: I would also want the Vet to try to ascertain if there isany risk of coccidiosis as this would have implications for the other Baby Rabbit

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

I really hope that you will have a happy outcome from what is obviously a very distressing situation at the moment :cry:

Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply and share your wisdom.

You're right. The gel-like substance wasn't urine, it is more like a discharge.

I took him to the vet for the third time tonight and they gave him IV fluids under the skin, a pain killer, a motility drug and some probiotics. I am continuing to feed him critical care.

I let him have some time alone in his cage and sadly noticed that he was sitting in a puddle of liquid (it appears to have been the IV fluid that just passed through him). There's diarrhea now and I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or good thing. It's the first poop to come out of him in more than 24 hours.

I called both my vet and the local animal emergency and neither are being of much help. My vet is closed and the animal emergency won't offer any advice over the phone, they want me to bring him in for another stressful check up (what a money grab). I think I'd much rather just look after him at home. Last night proved that there was very little they could do for him.

I've been monitoring him very closely and sadly I don't think he is actually eating any hay at all. He just moves it around with his mouth and breaks it into pieces to make a nice little nest for himself in his litter box.

I am very very saddened by all of this and am prepared to say goodbye.

Thank you so much to everyone for their kind wishes and advice I'm amazed by what an amazing community this is!

I am so sorry you are going through this...What an awful time it is.
I do hope your bun makes some sort of recovery over night.
I do know how distressing it is trying to nurse a sick baby bun...mega big hugs to you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply and share your wisdom.

You're right. The gel-like substance wasn't urine, it is more like a discharge.

I took him to the vet for the third time tonight and they gave him IV fluids under the skin, a pain killer, a motility drug and some probiotics. I am continuing to feed him critical care.

I let him have some time alone in his cage and sadly noticed that he was sitting in a puddle of liquid (it appears to have been the IV fluid that just passed through him). There's diarrhea now and I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or good thing. It's the first poop to come out of him in more than 24 hours.

I called both my vet and the local animal emergency and neither are being of much help. My vet is closed and the animal emergency won't offer any advice over the phone, they want me to bring him in for another stressful check up (what a money grab). I think I'd much rather just look after him at home. Last night proved that there was very little they could do for him.

I've been monitoring him very closely and sadly I don't think he is actually eating any hay at all. He just moves it around with his mouth and breaks it into pieces to make a nice little nest for himself in his litter box.

I am very very saddened by all of this and am prepared to say goodbye.

Thank you so much to everyone for their kind wishes and advice I'm amazed by what an amazing community this is!

Breaking up hay is usually an indication of discomfort or pain. Please do keep going though - the vet that gave all the things is really giving all the right things - fluids, motility, pain killer, probiotics and if the little one can take it - a syringe feed. I have had baby buns pull through this with very intensive care. Keep wiggling bits of tempting hay in front of him. Have you got some really good hay? Timothy hay might tempt him.

Breaking up hay is usually an indication of discomfort or pain. Please do keep going though - the vet that gave all the things is really giving all the right things - fluids, motility, pain killer, probiotics and if the little one can take it - a syringe feed. I have had baby buns pull through this with very intensive care. Keep wiggling bits of tempting hay in front of him. Have you got some really good hay? Timothy hay might tempt him.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement (everyone else that has replied also)

Yes I'm syringe feeding him the Critical Care still but I switched over to Banana Apple flavour and he seems to take it down much better. I've been observing him all evening and saw him little bits of hay and drinking his water occasionally. I took a video on my phone just to make sure that I wasn't just wishfully imagining things. Yes he has timothy hay that I buy by the bale from a local rabbit rescue (proceeds go to the shelter so it's win-win) I'm not really sure where to buy other types of hay though and I've read that offering a variety can help.

No poop yet (except for the diarrhea) :(

I truly appreciate all of this encouragement. I feel so lost and guilty that he fell ill under my care. He was so energetic and full of life when I brought him home :(

Firstly, I'm glad to hear that there is a little improvement in appetite.

Secondly, it really is not your fault he is ill and you are clearly doing your best for him.

The real problem is the lack of savvy vet support you have had. I hope he continues to improve. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no advice to add, but just wanted to send my best wishes. I hope your little one will pull through.

Sending a hug. You are doing your absolute best for him. xx

Make sue he's getting enough fluids, if he has diarrhoea, he could dehydrate and it is also serious. A responsible breeder would want to know in case their other buns could be infected with something. It might be worth taking out an insurance policy for your healthy bun, I pay £10 a month per bunny but there is a £70 excess. I keep rabbit recovery and pro/prebiotics in as some vets don't stock them.

Gosh what a time you have been through with your baby bunny. I can't really add anything but really hope he pulls through I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. At least he has someone looking after him so well it sounds like you are doing everything you can. Also the breeder sounds awful I would suggest you report them to your local SPCA (not sure what you have there with regards to animal police) as they don't sounds like they have supported you at all and maybe selling sick bunnies in the first place. Good luck please keep us posted.

Back