• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiny sticky rabbit poo?

Nic.

Warren Scout
Today Lana's poo is very weird. It's very small and and very sticky and wet. It seems to be falling out of her bum rather than her actually going to the toilet. She doesn't seem ill, maybe a bit more tired than normal but nothing very out of the ordinary. She's been on Baytril for the last 3 days for her sneezing, I don't know if that will have made a difference? I've also been giving her more surgary things than normal because she'll only take the antibiotics with fruit. I'm not sure what to do or if this is normal.

thanks

Today Lana's poo is very weird. It's very small and and very sticky and wet. It seems to be falling out of her bum rather than her actually going to the toilet. She doesn't seem ill, maybe a bit more tired than normal but nothing very out of the ordinary. She's been on Baytril for the last 3 days for her sneezing, I don't know if that will have made a difference? I've also been giving her more surgary things than normal because she'll only take the antibiotics with fruit. I'm not sure what to do or if this is normal.

thanks

Do they look like this on the right? http://dianasrabbitrescue.info/rabbitpics/Cecotropes.jpg

If so they are just uneaten caecotrophs. Mine sometimes leave these when they have had more pellet or something richer like bits of carrot or banana. Its perfectly normally I tend to just up the hay intake for a couple of days and reduce the pellet and treats a little. :wave:

Do they look like this on the right? http://dianasrabbitrescue.info/rabbitpics/Cecotropes.jpg

If so they are just uneaten caecotrophs. Mine sometimes leave these when they have had more pellet or something richer like bits of carrot or banana. Its perfectly normally I tend to just up the hay intake for a couple of days and reduce the pellet and treats a little. :wave:

Kind of but it's not in big clumps. It's just 1 or maybe 2 stuck together but they seem to fall out of her everytime she moves. Could it still be that? Thanks :)

Kind of but it's not in big clumps. It's just 1 or maybe 2 stuck together but they seem to fall out of her everytime she moves. Could it still be that? Thanks :)

It does sound like thats what it is. I know it sounds lovely but sometimes I find a big huge clump of these in the litter tray or I might find one or two stray ones on their own in the middle of the run (which my boys like to then step in and then make themselves require a good picking and brushing at, which is lovely for mammy) ;)

I don't think you have to worry, we all keep a good eye on our rabbits droppings they are key to knowing if your bunny is healthy. However if you were to see anything really soft or watery, such as getting towards diarrhoea then you would require vet attention immediately.

But it sounds like Lana is fine. She is gorgeous by the way :wave:

It does sound like thats what it is. I know it sounds lovely but sometimes I find a big huge clump of these in the litter tray or I might find one or two stray ones on their own in the middle of the run (which my boys like to then step in and then make themselves require a good picking and brushing at, which is lovely for mammy) ;)

I don't think you have to worry, we all keep a good eye on our rabbits droppings they are key to knowing if your bunny is healthy. However if you were to see anything really soft or watery, such as getting towards diarrhoea then you would require vet attention immediately.

But it sounds like Lana is fine. She is gorgeous by the way :wave:

Thanks for the info. I do feel a bit more reassured. I'm not sure whether she's done any real poos though, it's hard to tell because she's in with my other rabbit. She seems happy enough in herself though so I'm she it's just fine :) If the banana is making her have this uneaten poo, is it still ok to give it to her? I'm using it for her medicine and not sure I'll be able to get her to have it any other way!

Thanks for the info. I do feel a bit more reassured. I'm not sure whether she's done any real poos though, it's hard to tell because she's in with my other rabbit. She seems happy enough in herself though so I'm she it's just fine :) If the banana is making her have this uneaten poo, is it still ok to give it to her? I'm using it for her medicine and not sure I'll be able to get her to have it any other way!

It will still be safe to give it to her in this way but you will just have more of these uneaten poos for a while. Its not dangerous to her just you have to keep an eye on their bums to make sure their fur isnt getting dirty and matter around that area! This is when rabbits get flystrike. If you keep an eye on her bum and ensure she is getting plenty of hay in between all should be fine :D maybe dont give her any other treats while you are having to hide medicine in banana?

Is it a pill that she is having? It might sound crazy but if it is a pill have you tried simply offering her the pill? sometimes rabbits will just take and eat a pill form your hand like a treat! If not then you can hide it in banana and pumpkin etc. You could also crush the pill and mix it with a teeny bit of apple sauce? :)

It sounds like the fruit is too sugary for her and is causing her to leave her caecotrophs, or possibly produce malformed ones. The best thing to put the meds on would be Critical Care or Supreme Recovery, if you have any. If not, I'd try a plain shredded wheat, a spoon of oats or a small bit of bread and see if this helps things (you should see within a few days).

Back