• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Incontinence?

Bess&George

Warren Scout
Hiya,

My rabbit George is suffering from occasional incontinence. There are no big puddles, it's more like dripping. The urine is very clear and has no smell, you'd think it was just water when you wipe it from the floor if you didn't see it coming from him. I first noticed this a couple of weeks ago, then it went away and it's now returned today. When I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago he was drinking more than usual but doesn't seem to be doing this now.

He just finished a course of Baytril for something else (he's a snuffle bun) two days ago. He had a preventative course of panacur earlier this year, but could this still be EC? His bottom is a bit mucky but no more than usual and it's not wet or smelly, the vet said he's just not cleaning himself properly when I mentioned it a few months ago.

He suffered from more severe incontinence just over a year ago and went through some tests like diabetes then, all inconclusive. The symptoms disappeared when I replaced his water bowl with a bottle.

Otherwise he seems to be his usual self, cheeky, active and curious.

He's just under two years old, neutered and lives indoors.

Any suggestions what this could be? I will obviously take him to vet's next week when they are open again.

Thanks.

It could be bladder sludge, it could be EC related. It could be infection related even if he has recently had a course of antibiotics. I would take him back to the Vet for further investigations.

You say that he does not clean himself, do you know why ? Rabbits are usually very thorough with their grooming and if they are remaining soiled it is almost always a sign of a problem.

Thank you Jane, I will mention those possibilities to the vet.

I forgot to mention he was boarded for a week about a month ago before the symptoms started and as the weather was very warm then he was allowed outside during the day whilst there, and had access to grass which loved. Not sure if he could have been exposed to something then. He does go out daily at home as well but only to our roof terrace.

With regards to the cleaning, I don't know why he doesn't clean his bottom as well as my other bunny. I have mentioned to the vet but they didn't seem concerned. And to be honest I haven't been that concerned as his bottom is 100 times better than when he last suffered from incontinence (think it was in January 2013, he's been fine since apart from this muckiness and his snuffles).

As a reference, here is a photo of his bottom this evening

and this is how it looked when he was really poorly a year ago, it was so bad the vet had to shave him then.

He might not be cleaning himself properly because he can't smell anything (having Snuffles). I hope he improves soon.

Back