• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female is a male

3doe rabbits

Young Bun
Well I've dropped 2 of my baby's off to be spayed this morning feeling horrible . When I get home my vet has rang me first thought what's happen she then rings my mobile and it turns out my netherland dwarf isn't a girl she's a male:shock: . Has anyone ever had this happen to them .

Well I've dropped 2 of my baby's off to be spayed this morning feeling horrible . When I get home my vet has rang me first thought what's happen she then rings my mobile and it turns out my netherland dwarf isn't a girl she's a male:shock: . Has anyone ever had this happen to them .

I havent had this happen to me, but tgere are a lot of stories similar.
some people have found out because their doe is pregnant, some have found out at time of neutering. Apparently it is easy for a rabbit to be wrongly sexed, especially when they are young.

Hopefully the vet would have checked to see if the female is pregnant, as its not mentioned, i guess you have had a lucky escape :lol:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Luckily I was keeping them separate till they'd been sprayed as they were fighting . then I was going to try and bond them. The vet did say the mistake was probably due to him not being very big when they last looked. At least now I know why my other 2 were so hormonal lol :)

Luckily I was keeping them separate till they'd been sprayed as they were fighting . then I was going to try and bond them. The vet did say the mistake was probably due to him not being very big when they last looked. At least now I know why my other 2 were so hormonal lol :)

definitely had luck on your side there lol.
i know people say its hard to tell until they reach maturity.
bet youre glad they didnt bond now :lol:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Oh yes for sure! My first rabbit turned out to be a male (We had called her Sophie!) but that was 20 years ago ..

I found out my boy was a girl on Friday!! She is now booked in for spaying this Friday! I adopted her from pets at home she was one of their babies and had been separated from her brothers for being aggressive (can understand why now). Was a little shocked when I was told Jeffery was actually a girl xxx

Our George was a girl who turned into a boy, 3 people sexed him including the one of our Vets. Baby bunnies can be notoriously difficult to sex.
At the time we had been keeping George separate from "her" future husbun Hershel before neutering and bonding.

Unfortunately George and Hershel didn't bond after neutering (5 months old) as they kept fighting every time we tried to introduce them. They are happy to live side by side in a separated run but not actually together.

George is bonded with Harry (Harriet) now and we are going to get Hershel a girlfriend in the summer once we have improved the run set-up.

If your other 2 bunnies are Does, you could try bonding a trio instead once they are neutered. Good luck.

Trio bonded

Hi I'm also in Shrewsbury. I've bonded my three females together very successfully. just introduced the third one initially through wire..let them sniff etc and eventually slowly introduced them where they had plenty of room to escape fro each other. All happy now and no casualties.

I was thinking of trying to bond them all once their all done but have to wait and see how they get on at the moment scamp and midnight arn't keen on each other . Their hutches are next to each other with stomp the male in the middle x

It can take 4-8 weeks for hormones to die down post spay so you'll probably find that's affecting them.

I'd definitely advise trying for a trio once they're all done and the hormones are out of their systems, even if they don't seem to get along at first.
I've just bonded a trio and the first few hours were absolutely awful (fur flying, bunnies boxing, scratching and biting each other) but they're now very happily living together.:love:

Iv had my two who i believed were both female since they were 8 weeks old and they were 1 last friday! They were together the whole time and only found out Mason was actually a boy about 2 months ago!

Back