• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Harley

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Went to feed Harley and Evie tonight and Harley refused his food. Brought the two of them in and offered him his favourites, including hay, but nothing.

Managed to get some metacam in him and he was being v.fiesty but i'd appreciate some vibes

Sending vibes to him, if he's not eating he needs to go to the vets as a matter of urgency :thumb:

sending lots of vibes. can you feel his stomach? sometimes massaging the tummy can help things move along. do you have any recovery food to give him?

How's Harley today? I always give Boris a couple of ml's of Infacol and encourage him to move around when he does this. Most of the time this is enough to put him on the road to recovery.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the vibes - they seemed to have helped. Lots of nibbling of hay going on all day today (including at 01:15am and 4:30am when I got up to check on him; no sleep for me!!). Lots of droppings as well, all of which look normal - nothing misshapen or small or string of pearls. Not really sure what was up with him last night. He is moulting at the moment and I know that can sap their energy so maybe that was it.

I do actually need to get some infacol as I think I've run out. Thankfully I do have metacam and metoclopramide in the house as well as critical care, although I'm not overly keen on syringe feeding without a vet confirming there is no blockage. If he hadn't have been nibbling and hopping around today he would have gone straight to the vet. Unfortunately, Harley is a little bit of stasis prone bun, a few years back he would suffer from it every six weeks. The vet took bloods and tested for everything - nothing showed up, he had x-rays of his mouth and stomach and his teeth were physically examined at the same time as he was sedated - nothing. So we just increased his run/hutch area and his hay intake and bonded him one of our female buns.

This is also the same rabbit that somehow managed to get hold of a plastic Andrex drawstring bag and decided eating as much of it as possible was good idea. Some emergency surgery later he was fine (the stasis episodes occurred before he did this) and ever since he has only had two bouts - one just before Christmas last year and now last night.

Back