• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pinterest strikes again!

Jacqueline122

Warren Scout
What is it with people on Pinterest and their terrible animal ideas! I think this is terrible and far too small for even a lap dog to sleep in :(

zyjypeta.jpg

I quite agree. I dont like animals being shut in things at all and often feel bad for my hamster and the rabbits even though they have large set ups compared to many out there.

I think dog crates are a little different to other forms of small housing and you can't really compare it to a rabbit being permanently cooped up in a 3ft hutch for example. We don't use one for Kane as he was fully grown when we got him and hadn't ever been in one (and is fine without) but I'd probably use one if we had a puppy. If you're going to have a big metal cage stuck in the room, then I don't see a problem with it being made to look a bit prettier & more functional like the one in the photo. :lol:

If the crate's introduced correctly & is always a positive experience for the dog not a punishment, then the dog comes to see it as somewhere safe it can retreat to when it wishes and not just when the owner goes out or overnight; if you notice the photo shows the crate door open so the dog is free to come and go. :D

Like everything else it's personal preference so not everybody will agree with their use but the Association of Pet Dog Trainers recognises that they can be useful.
http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/training-tips/CrateTraining_000.pdf

That looks (badly) photoshoped, I imagine it's a product image rather than a real one. I've seen them online before, they are basically dog crates with a wooden table over and come in different sizes like normal dog crates.

It looks to be as deep as the sofa so about 900mm x 600mm wide which is the size of a large plastic dig bed ;) and looks good in the room too :)

My dog has a crate and has done since she was little but she's a small dog, sprocker spaniel, and has a crate made for a very large dog. The crate in the picture is tiny and very low! No room to stretch out either. Looks like a dog prison to me!

I think dog crates are a little different to other forms of small housing and you can't really compare it to a rabbit being permanently cooped up in a 3ft hutch for example. We don't use one for Kane as he was fully grown when we got him and hadn't ever been in one (and is fine without) but I'd probably use one if we had a puppy. If you're going to have a big metal cage stuck in the room, then I don't see a problem with it being made to look a bit prettier & more functional like the one in the photo. :lol:

If the crate's introduced correctly & is always a positive experience for the dog not a punishment, then the dog comes to see it as somewhere safe it can retreat to when it wishes and not just when the owner goes out or overnight; if you notice the photo shows the crate door open so the dog is free to come and go. :D

Like everything else it's personal preference so not everybody will agree with their use but the Association of Pet Dog Trainers recognises that they can be useful.
http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/training-tips/CrateTraining_000.pdf

You misunderstood why I posted this. I think crates are very useful and completely agree its a safe haven for dogs if properly introduced. As I said in my above comment, I use a LARGE crate for my small dog. The reason I posted this particular crate is because it's tiny and looks like a prison more than a dog haven! Maybe if the door was kept open all the time it would be ok for a very small dog but I'm pretty sure most people use crates so their dog can be enclosed overnight or while they're out.

You misunderstood why I posted this. I think crates are very useful and completely agree its a safe haven for dogs if properly introduced. As I said in my above comment, I use a LARGE crate for my small dog. The reason I posted this particular crate is because it's tiny and looks like a prison more than a dog haven! Maybe if the door was kept open all the time it would be ok for a very small dog but I'm pretty sure most people use crates so their dog can be enclosed overnight or while they're out.

Aaaah, sorry, you didn't really explain so I just assumed you were against crates altogether. You said it was too small even for a lap dog, which would be much smaller than the dog in the photo. :wave:

I think the idea is that you buy a size that the dog can comfortably stretch out in & stand up which (to me) it looks like the dog in the photo can do. If you have a small dog, then you can go up a size or two if you want to give even more room but that's not possible with a large dog; I have a dogue de Bordeaux and he'd probably need the largest size dog crate as a minimum. I've seen photos of crates being used for them though and there's enough room in the biggest crate for them to lay sprawled out if they choose to. If a crate is so small that the dog has no choice but to lay curled up in a ball for the whole time it's in there, then I agree, that's not big enough.

Back