• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neutering concerns

2Angels

Young Bun
Apologies if these questions have been asked a million times before but my rabbit (male) has been neutered today and I have a few concerns.

Firstly, I am unsure if he is eating enough. What is the 'norm' for them eating just after the op? Before we collected him the vet said he was eating and pooping. But since he came home he has barely touched his hay, had 1 pellet, a small bit of carrott and a bit of broccolli. I haven't seen him drink yet but he has wee'd and poo'ed. I'm just concerned this isn't enough?

Also he was stitched and he won't stop licking and cleaning them. I have tried all sorts to distract but it's not working. Is this a concern?

I will be keeping an eye on him all night so don't plan on going to sleep...its going to be a long night i think!

Thanks very much

Apologies if these questions have been asked a million times before but my rabbit (male) has been neutered today and I have a few concerns.

Firstly, I am unsure if he is eating enough. What is the 'norm' for them eating just after the op? Before we collected him the vet said he was eating and pooping. But since he came home he has barely touched his hay, had 1 pellet, a small bit of carrott and a bit of broccolli. I haven't seen him drink yet but he has wee'd and poo'ed. I'm just concerned this isn't enough?

Also he was stitched and he won't stop licking and cleaning them. I have tried all sorts to distract but it's not working. Is this a concern?

I will be keeping an eye on him all night so don't plan on going to sleep...its going to be a long night i think!

Thanks very much

When Stu has his opp he wasn't best pleased for a day or so :roll: He sulked a lot
If he is obsessing with the wound he may need the lampshade I was lucky he just sulked :roll:

Have you got pain meds to give him

Here us a pic of Stu sulking :lol:

But at the time I was concerned too, if he doesn't pick up I would call the vet or maybe someone here can help more

Thanks very much

Difficult as it is, try to stop him worrying the stitches. Rabbits are awful for pulling them out!

Sounds like he might be in pain, tbh. Did your vet give him pain relief?

He might not eat much until tomorrow. My buns are always quite "out of it" for about 12 hours after a GA and eat little. As long as he has eaten something and is toileting ok, I wouldn't worry too much unless he goes completely off his food or doesn't pick up tomorrow.

Thanks both of you x

No, we were sent away without pain relief! I asked if i would get some and was told he had had some already and we would see how he was tomorrow. Tomorrow he has a post op check. Sounds like he should have been given some to take home today though!

I'm so worried about his stitches, I am trying to stop him but hes being relentless with them.

It's all so worrying, I'm scared to go to sleep.

Thanks both of you x

No, we were sent away without pain relief! I asked if i would get some and was told he had had some already and we would see how he was tomorrow. Tomorrow he has a post op check. Sounds like he should have been given some to take home today though!

I'm so worried about his stitches, I am trying to stop him but hes being relentless with them.

It's all so worrying, I'm scared to go to sleep.

Try giving your emergency vet a call. If he has had pain relief, then hopefully he is covered for tonight, but I would certainly ring up and ask about him worrying his stitches. Can you see if he is chewing the stitches or just licking his "bits"?

Hi

My rabbit was neutered on Monday, same situation, stitches and no extra pain relief.

He removed one of his stitches. We had our post op check up early and to reassure you, in his case he hadn't caused much damage and the vet removed them as things were healing well. We went home with permission for to give pain relief after I insisted on it as a precaution/way of minimising fussing with his wounds.

Neville was licking down there and paying attention to the area. He didn't eat much for the first 8 hrs at home and was very lethargic. He gradually increased and is now eating completely normally.

Hang in there and if in doubt, go back to the vets!

Try giving your emergency vet a call. If he has had pain relief, then hopefully he is covered for tonight, but I would certainly ring up and ask about him worrying his stitches. Can you see if he is chewing the stitches or just licking his "bits"?

He has eaten abit more overnight but still not had a drink. I have tried bottles, bowls etc.

I think he is just licking, but he seems to get abit carried away. I am taking him back the vets tonight, so will get them to check and ask for some pain relief.

thanks for your help

Hi

My rabbit was neutered on Monday, same situation, stitches and no extra pain relief.

He removed one of his stitches. We had our post op check up early and to reassure you, in his case he hadn't caused much damage and the vet removed them as things were healing well. We went home with permission for to give pain relief after I insisted on it as a precaution/way of minimising fussing with his wounds.

Neville was licking down there and paying attention to the area. He didn't eat much for the first 8 hrs at home and was very lethargic. He gradually increased and is now eating completely normally.

Hang in there and if in doubt, go back to the vets!

Hi, thanks very much for the reassurance.

That is exactly what he has been like, lethargic and not that interested in food. I have managed to give him some more food last night and this morning but he certainly isn't 'hungry'.

I only wish I had insisted on some more pain relief, but will do tonight when I take him.

Can I ask was neville drinking ok in the first day? I cannot get him to drink but he has eaten bits and pieces.

I am glad neville is back to normal now, its such a worrying time, especially when they seem a little too interested in stitches.

He didn't seem to move from one spot for 12 hrs and I didn't see him drink until about 15 hrs later! But I was feeding small slices of apple/spring greens just to get him eating and to get some moisture. I believe the vets gave him fluids too so I expect your bun has had some and will be ok.

He will bounce back - it was definitely 24 hours before he was back to himself.

Back