• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deaf?!

maggyrose

Warren Scout
How can you find out if your rabbit deaf?

I have noticed that one of my rabbits doesnt wake up or notice me when I walk into their room...yesterday I had walked in and was about to feed them and she still hadnt noticed me, I had to touch her (when she flinched) before she knew I was there.

I thought she maybe blind, but she would run into things etc if that was the case, so maybe she is deaf or partially deaf.

Anyone have a deaf bunny? :shock:
x

My previous bunny aged very badly he was like an OAP before we had him pts at 6.

He used to go out in the garden a lot but often when I went to get him to help him to his run, he'd be so fast asleep it was impossible to wake him. Even if I knocked the door to his room, or stamped loudly, he'd still not hear me coming, so in the end I used to hang round and wait for him to wake up first.

It never seemed to bother him, and as he was constantly treated for more important things, it never got addressed.

Barney is deaf. He has been ever since I've had him. He doesn't react to any noise.
I finally proved it by waiting till he was asleep and then screamed in his face and he didn't wake up. I also banged pans in the same situation and nothing.

We thought Elmo was deaf cos he never used to notice us come into the shed and would then bolt and hide when he suddenly saw us! He had his ears checked out by the vet and there was nothing wrong but she thinks he is hard of hearing maybe due to being a lop. We started stamping our feet before opening the shed door and weirdly it helped cos he could feel the vibrations and know we were coming. What helped him he most though was bonding him with fern :love: bless her she is his ears and he never bolts anymore :love:

If you're worried I would ask your vet next time you're there, for us she put Elmo on the floor and clapped to see if he responded and judged it that way.

My Finley was deaf from 4 months old unfortunately it was down to bulla abscesses the deafness never bothered him the reason he was deaf did. He never heard anything it made him very outgoing because loud noises etc didn't bother him he used to sit and watch the fireworks :roll:

ah ok, thanks for replies, i have only really noticed it since ive had them separated - arthur has been neutered and we are waiting for his fertility to go! so maybe arthur has been her ears ;)

plus she is a lop too so maybe that is a contributing factor

i will ask the vet when we go next to try to determine it xx

Back