• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

False Black Widows

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
hey guys

first of all i wasn't sure weather or not to post this in health or housing,so i picked this one:lol:

so,as most of you may know about these 'false black widows'-my buns are outside rabbits (im still working on the folks lol)

above binkys cage there is a next of spiders with a black spider,with a white back-and im guessing it could be a false black widow-but there must be other spiders with white bits,right?

im petrified of spiders,i always have to get my dad to move them away from the cages :oops: and i was talking to my mum about this spiders,and i was thinking-what would happen if one of my bunnies was to get bitten? i dont even want to think about it-i know they cant kill a human unless they have a severe allergic reaction,but apart from swollen limbs,but bunnies are smaller

i googled about rabbits (probably the worst thing i could of done,but oh well) this came up.. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-pet-dead-poisonous-false-widows-hutch.html

im working on getting my bunnies to live indoors,but im not there yet :(

heres my q's- what would happen if they got bitten?
what would you do if they did,before an emergency vet trip?
would they have to aggravate the spider?
how can i prevent it?:(

thankyou

The hype over this spider is stupid. There is absolutely no proof that the spider caused the rabbits death. There's not even any proof that the spiders were false widows, she claims she identified them using the internet but there are other spiders which look similar. We all know how quickly rabbits can take ill, and I don't think it says her rabbits are vaccinated, so could have even been VHD if it wasn't stasis or bloat.

These spiders have been in the country for a long time. They're not aggressive. Articles like that are why people are so worried for no reason.

By all means move the spiders if it worries you, but the chances of them hurting your rabbit are low... Lots of people on here have outdoor rabbits and I haven't been one person mention that this spider has bitten their rabbits and made them ill.

the woman who said the spider killed her bun also fed it cream crackers, so it was more likely a death due to the poor bunnies diet

the woman who said the spider killed her bun also fed it cream crackers, so it was more likely a death due to the poor bunnies diet

i thought this too haha! that picture was taken the same day i think,so thats probably why it died!

i know its a hype about the spider that isn't to worry about because they've been here for ages;i just wanted to be sure so i didn't put my rabbits in any danger:D

thanks guys:wave:

IMO spiders are bunny friends no foe, they keep away the flys which are probably far more likely to cause your bunny harm.

Back