• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppys Meloxicam dosage seems too high advice please

Missy1972

New Kit
Hello My bunny Poppy is 9yrs and 2mths old shes having end of life care from the vets and the wierd thing is the vets have put her dosage up from 2.5kg to 12kg, thats a big jump to me and im not happy to give her this. Im a fool to still be with these vets as they had killed Poppys partner a few years ago because a inexperienced vet overdosed him, im not prepared for this to happen again. Any views on Meloxicam.
Thanks

So that's about 5x the dog weight dose? ie 5x 2.33kg.
That seems to be towards the top end of what I've been prescribed before, but certainly not excessive for short-term use.
I would suggest that the 2.5kg dose was quite low, as rabbits metabolise meloxicam quite quickly (compared to eg dogs and cats), but it really depends on what it was prescribed for.
You would be best to talk to your vet to discuss the change.

They want me to give her meloxicam , theres no reason for it, she has metaclop twice a day to keep her gut moving , shes eating loads of hay, dandelion leaves and grass, nuggets not very much but her gut keeps slowing down they say its age related and theres nothing more they can do for her, shes losing weight too even though she eats age related I was told, they wanted me to have her put to sleep in March, we said no because she seemed normal, asking for treats, playing outside in the day. Infact my husband was so unhappy about it he basically told them that their job was to save lives not put them down just because they are old, I know she probably on limited time but while she is happy and normal no way.

Meloxicam can help both pain and inflammation.
If she is not eating pellets, her tooth roots or spurs on her teeth may be making it uncomfortable or painful to eat pellets.
Gut stasis can be uncomfortable or painful.
Jane and Shimmer already gave you dosage information. I will add that some vets split the daily dose for bunnies and give it every 12 hours instead of every 24 hours.
Gut stasis can be a secondary issue from other problems that result in your bunny not eating enough or drinking enough such as dental issues or pain elsewhere.
Sending vibes you can find a vet who understands that our bunnies are valued members of our families.

Last edited:
Back