• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Binky is sneezing D:

Me again!

Just been sat with Binky and am considering taking him to the vets again tomorrow. When he was taken last week he was given a thorough nose/ear/eye/teeth/chest/bottom check over and everything looked fine.

We've noticed hes been sneezing lately but at most its 4-5 times, just little sneezes. And we put it down to the dust in the hay. Unfortunately the bags of thicker timothy hay (home friends special timothy hay) seem to be rather dusty, although I do get rid of as much as I can before putting it in the cage.

However, he just had a sort of sneezing fit. He couldn't stop sneezing and started to panic a bit. We took him out of the cage and I held him on my lap to calm him (and me!). We can't see any hay or anything up his nose and the only discharge seems to be clear, and mostly there because he is sneezing in the first place.

Hes still eating, pooping and chewing sticks quite happily. I freaked out to the point I rang the emergency vet and she said to just keep an eye on him and that the priority is that hes eating/pooping and looks bright.

He still sneezed for a while after, little set of two or three but very regularly. I think I may have to sleep in this room just so I can keep an ear/eye on him.

This sounds like an allergy to me, don't you think?
We've noticed his pee seems darker than normal and he doesn't seem to be drinking as much as he normally does but that varies anyway right? I am in the process of trying to get a urine sample to the vet anyway. Maybe its excess ammonia even though the tray gets cleaned out regularly?
The only other thing we've noticed is we do have some little bugs in this room at the moment, they're not mites as he has been checked for them and has no signs of having mites. They're just in the corner so we think they're just some dust eating bug that lives in the carpet.

So, off to the vets tomorrow, just in case?

Me again!

Just been sat with Binky and am considering taking him to the vets again tomorrow. When he was taken last week he was given a thorough nose/ear/eye/teeth/chest/bottom check over and everything looked fine.

We've noticed hes been sneezing lately but at most its 4-5 times, just little sneezes. And we put it down to the dust in the hay. Unfortunately the bags of thicker timothy hay (home friends special timothy hay) seem to be rather dusty, although I do get rid of as much as I can before putting it in the cage.

However, he just had a sort of sneezing fit. He couldn't stop sneezing and started to panic a bit. We took him out of the cage and I held him on my lap to calm him (and me!). We can't see any hay or anything up his nose and the only discharge seems to be clear, and mostly there because he is sneezing in the first place.

Hes still eating, pooping and chewing sticks quite happily. I freaked out to the point I rang the emergency vet and she said to just keep an eye on him and that the priority is that hes eating/pooping and looks bright.

He still sneezed for a while after, little set of two or three but very regularly. I think I may have to sleep in this room just so I can keep an ear/eye on him.

This sounds like an allergy to me, don't you think?
We've noticed his pee seems darker than normal and he doesn't seem to be drinking as much as he normally does but that varies anyway right? I am in the process of trying to get a urine sample to the vet anyway. Maybe its excess ammonia even though the tray gets cleaned out regularly?
The only other thing we've noticed is we do have some little bugs in this room at the moment, they're not mites as he has been checked for them and has no signs of having mites. They're just in the corner so we think they're just some dust eating bug that lives in the carpet.

So, off to the vets tomorrow, just in case?

Yes, good luck :)

Back