• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No testicles?

Alfaasil

New Kit
Hi All,

Sorry for the blunt thread title, thought id get straight to the point :p

I've recently taken on a mini lop buck, he is 5 months and 2/3 weeks. The previous owner mentioned nothing of having him neutered, she was the breeder which doubly gives me reason that she would not do this. I was just giving him a check over last night and realized he does not seem to have descended testicles? I would question the fact that he is male, but he has the most textbook example of a bucks penis its hard to imagine anything else.

This is something I have never had to deal with as I have only owned a few bucks previously and all have under gone puberty by the book.

Any useful information? Is there any way I can distinguish whether he has been neutered?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

It's just possible he might be a late-developer although 5-6 months is quite late for a mini lop.

Is he.... erm..... 'showing signs of arousal'?(!)

In my experience its VERY late which is why im slightly worried or dubious.

In answer to your question, no, I have tested this by placing him in the room with my BEW who is currently digging up her bedding as she wants to nest, so she was a willing partaker and he just cuddled up to her and went to sleep! :?

Hmmmm.... and he didn't even spray her either?!

Mini lop puberty can be later than larger breeds especially if he's a small and 'typey' buck but at nearly 6 months he is a late-developer. I'm assuming you can't feel undescended testicles under his skin in the appropriate areas?

If in doubt, I would contact his previous owner to check and to ask if his littermates had a normal puberty at around 4 months.

Nope, not even a flicker of interest. She isnt a pushy doe either she just stood nicely for him. When he decided to realise she was there he just hopped over and wiggled himself up to her and dropped asleep.

Thanks for the help, yeah I did have a feel, nothing obvious although I admit it was a post shed clean check and he was a little restless. I will have a more serious fondle later :shock:

Back