• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating but not pellets

dominoid

Warren Scout
Normally, our buns go nuts when they get morning pellets but today Tifa doesn't want to know. She'll wolf down leaves and grass as always but her pellets she just sniffed at and ignored them. I even tried separating her from her brother and feeding some by hand but she just sniffed them and hopped off. Should I be worried?

Maybe an issue with her teeth? Could be that the pellets are harder so tough on her teeth?

When Buckley has bouts of stasis the first thing he goes off are "treat foods" like pellets. They're also the last thing he goes back to eating. It's a very predictable cycle with Buckley food-wise. First he ignores pellets, then veg, then herbs, then forage, then hay. It's got to the stage where I can spot it before he even starts ignoring food.

It would be worth popping her to the vets (with her brother) to get her checked out. Sniffing them then hopping off does sound like she might be in the beginnings of stasis.

Just gave them both a quarter pineapple ring each an their dinner; she wolfed down her pellets as normal so I think it was just a one off thankfully :) keeping a close eye just in case though now.

Hugh did this on two occasions where he didn't eat his pellets but was happy to have hay and grass and forage and treats and veg and the next day he would eat his pellets just fine. It only happened twice and there was like a two week gap between the couple of nights he did it. The first night I lay awake worried sick that he was going to be ill the next day. The second night I worried less but still kept an eye on him but again, totally back to normal the next day. Now I think back on it I really wish I'd taken him to the vet.

Went on holiday for a week (him and Meg went to a bunny hotel they will NEVER be going back to) and when I got back we took him to the vet for a wet bum (that he must have had while he was at the hotel which is why we're not going back) and it turned out he had a bladder stone the size of a grape. He must have been growing that thing for well over a month. But the only signs I can think of looking back are these two nights.

His off days might be totally unrelated to his bladder stone so:oops: I'm not suggesting you rush bun to an emergency vet or anything, but maybe if it happens twice it might be worth getting her checked over. :oops:

Back