• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Castration tomorrow!

Coggit

Young Bun
So, Harry's castration is tomorrow. I'm extremely nervous about the operation, but the vet performing it is *amazing*, so I shouldn't be worried! Guess a bit of worry is natural anyway, though. A few questions: Harry will be coming home slightly early (we travel a long way to go to this vet surgeon, so he lets us take them home a few hours after the operation - whereas usually they keep pets in until 4pmish). I've already been told though, that Harry must be eating before we can bring him home. It's about an hour drive in the car. I just want help with my rabbit bag of things to take!

So far I'm taking:
Some of his dry mix,
his favourite hay,
water bowl,
some pieces of fresh food and treats to encourage him to eat when he wakes up,
and loads of blankets to keep him warm after the operation and when we're going back in the car.

am I forgetting anything? and send Harry good luck vibes! :D

Good Luck Harry!

I can't help with what you need to take, sounds like you've got it covered to me though.

I'll be taking my girls in for their op soon. Only had them two days and already don't know how I'm going to cope with the worry! There's going to be a lot of vet researching done before I decide where they're going.

I'm sure Harry will be fine, sending him happy and hungry thoughts. :)

I usually take a packed lunch of pellets, favourite veg and small piece of apple, and a selection of hay as the vet only has 1 type and I never know if mine will eat it! I usually take some Burgess Herbage and home dried forage too.

Good luck and vibes for Harry :love:

Oh dear, it's going to be a long day for you, but before you know it, Harry will be back home and enjoying being spoilt rotten :thumb:

Waiting for the phone call from the vets after a furry friend has had an op seems to take an eternity. I understand how you are feeling.

Fingers crossed still.:thumb:

Oh bless him, I hope everything is okay.

Don't wrap him up too much in those blankets on the way home though as he may over-heat in a car as there's limited ventilation really and it's a beautiful day here (which I think is nationwide).

It's a fairly easy op compared to a girlie, so hoping all goes well and he recovers quickly :wave:

Everything is great! He was done by about 12pm and Steve (the vet) came out and told me personally (I waited as I live quite far away). He told me he'd be happy to let Harry go in about 30-40 minutes depending on how well he woke up. I went to Tesco (and got lost!) and ended up being nearly an hour late back! Harry didn't wake up as quick as they'd have liked, so they kept him in for a but longer. They let me wait in a consultation room with him though - it was nice to have proper snuggles from him (although at this point, he was so off his head he didn't have a choice anyway :oops:).

We got him home about 4pm and he just slept in his bed on my bed (if that makes sense!). At this point he was still pretty lethargic but ate a bit of celery, but no dry mix. Then at around 6pm, he just jumped off the bed and was acting completely normal again! He's also eating and drinking normally :)

Back