• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopping, sprawling, pushing himself back, dragging himself

kazz

Alpha Buck
This is Marleys behaviour atm. Hops a few steps and sprawls out. Any ideas? Contemplating emergency vets.

If he is pushing his tummy into the floor then that is a sign of severe discomfort or pain :(

I'd be tempted to phone the vets just for that... but is he eating and pooping normally? If not he really really needs to see a vet!

Hes refusing pellets and apple. Could it be stasis?

Sounds a lot like :(

You could try making him run round for a bit and then offer more yummy things, sometimes movement helps, but to be honest a vet would be your best bet.

Vibes xxx

Hes just had a few nibbles of apple and a couple of pellets. He's sat in a corner looking sleepy while sat. He's going away from us rather than coming up to us.

Hes just groomed himself a bit.

Hes just had a few nibbles of apple and a couple of pellets. He's sat in a corner looking sleepy while sat. He's going away from us rather than coming up to us.

Hes just groomed himself a bit.

Is it possible for you to stay up all night with him to ensure he's eating, pooing and weeing? Even if he's eaten a few bits right now, he might not be passing any wee/poo and he might not eat all night either. As I'm sure you're aware, bunnies can go downhill very quickly. If he's not weeing/pooing he could have a blockage which is very dangerous.

You could ring your vets, but I'm sure they'll probably do what mine do and say they can't tell anything over the phone but bring him in if I'm concerned...

The flopping/sprawling/dragging is a sign of severe discomfort/pain, so regardless of the fact he's eaten a little bit I'd definitely be taking him. It's better to get him gut stimulants, fluids and painkillers now than risk it overnight when he could go downhill very quickly without monitoring. Also, the earlier you catch these things the better so if he gets treatment now he might be bounding around in a few hours whereas if you leave it till the morning it might be a much more severe case that requires hospitalisation etc.

It is completely up to you though, and if you're able to stay up with him or wake up at least 4 times in the night to ensure he's eating/weeing/pooing then that might be fine. Do you have any painkillers that you can give (under the advice of a vet of course!)?

I don't have any painkillers. He's eaten some kale, bit more apple, some hay and a couple more pellets. He's still tuy pressing but the rest has stopped. He's done a couple of poos before I noticed him being different but he isn't dragging or pushing etc. Laying and then repositioning.
He's cleaning himself as I type. And then laid back down. I've done a few tummy swirls on him. Would readigrass help? I have no problem staying up or waking up every hour. He's laid out with legs out :/

No don't syringe water, but provide a bowl if he usually has a bottle as that encourages drinking.

It's worth emptying the tray if it's got previous poops so you can keep track easier too.

The behaviour you describe is very typical of a bunny with a sore tummy, I hope he feels better soon!

He hasnt eaten anything since. And keeps readjusting himself. Going to get some pellets and hay and ring the vets because I can't do anymore than keep offering him stuff for him to refuse.

He hasnt eaten anything since. And keeps readjusting himself. Going to get some pellets and hay and ring the vets because I can't do anymore than keep offering him stuff for him to refuse.

If he were my bun I would be getting an appointment asap. Spending £50 now on appt + drugs is better than waiting and ending up with £££s bill because he needs to stay in.

When my beatrice had a funny turn a few weeks ago I called the vet as soon as she refused food, the vet checked for blockage, when there wasn't any she gave her some painkiller and bea was back to normal the next morning. Definitely worth it.

Thank you for your concern, it's really appreciated. I rang the vet and headed straight out. Got there just before 2am after waiting for 3 trains to go past one after the other! The vet checked him over and said he could hear his gut was a bit fast but that he seemed alright, not dehydrated etc. Marley was exploring the examination room and seemed fine but the vet assumed that was the adrenaline. He had a painkiller and a gut stimulant and I went home 150 pound lighter but he's been fine since, just having a moment of panic everytime he lies down now :lol:

Well done for getting him to the emergency vet - no fun being out and about at that time of night/early morning on public transport.

I'm pleased that he sounds so much better.

Yes, well done. Quite the trip, it shows what a great bunny owner you are to do it! I'm glad he's doing better. Often when you catch these things early because you know your bunny well enough to know something isn't right they resolve a lot faster. And all bunnies are terrible for making swift recoveries as soon as they touch the vet table - I think it's partly down to them no wanting to display signs of illness when they are in an unfamiliar place.

We got home at 3am and the vet just told me to get some sleep (obviously I didn't hide it as well as Marley :lol:) and put him to bed as normal and to check as soon as I was up. I put him to bed and got sorted then checked on him in the wendyhouse and he was just sat, not writhing etc and when I got up he was eating his hay as per. The only thing I'd say was different since is that he used to come to the door everytime it got opened and now he's hanging back and running to hide. Unless this is just a 'dont jab me!' response or whether he's not trusting me too much I don't know!

Back