• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how to put on weight?

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
hiya

Wee Smudge had gut slowdown about 10 days ago looks like he was eating Lino!!!! and was treated by vet. He is now eating well (loads of hay and pellets twice a day).and for the first time in 10 days has no uneaten or loose caecals... All was Okay today... He is running about Ok and not hunched up or causing me concern behaviour wise.. Poos are fab, big and golden.

However, he looks as if he has lost weight, I can feel his wee bones (shoulder blades? just behind his head).. How can I get him to gain weight without the risk of him having loose caecals and poo again,

I give him science selective as Willow can't stomach burgess excel too well....

Suggestions please... or do you think trip to the vet is the only option?

Fee x

Personally I wouldn't worry too much. I would weigh him then feed as normal and he should put the weight back on. Weigh him again in a week and if he is still not putting on weight, gently increase his ration. I would be wary of jumping in with changes quickly if his system has just started up again in case you cause more problems. In the meantime, if he was maintaining a good weight with his diet before the slowdown, he will do again afterwards.

Thanks both of you....

I am particularly wary of over feeding as I had issues with Willow when I first got her and it took her ages to settle. Smudge is also moulting and I hadn't quite realised how much weight he had lost till today when I brushed him and thought he looked scrawny. His coat is a mess due to moulting too... What a disaster.. my poor boy!!,!

I have been off work for a couple of days and have enjoyed watching them from the window just going about their daily business and that's how I know he is eating perfectly well...

I will do as suggested and let him munch away and will weigh him again in a week...

Thanks , as usual, for fab advice!!!

Make it into porridge by adding boiling water and leave to cool. Obviously introduce new foods gradually.

Really??

I have only ever given porridge oats dry, and have never heard of feeding it made up like that. I know dry it is good for putting on weight.

If he struggles to maintain his weight long-term you could consider pro-fibre pellets. If he is eating and pooing well I wouldn't rush into any changes though.

I think porridge oats can also be offered dry to buns, just in smallish quantities.

I would also just feed the same amounts as usual and monitor weight for a while to make sure it comes back up/doesn't go down any further. My bridge bunny, Bubbles, would sometimes drop a little weight when she had a dental but, once her eating got back to normal afterwards, she regained the weight without any additional food.

I don't often feed porridge but I've always made it up with warm water & I've seen it mentioned quite a few times over the years. I think with dry there's a worry that it might swell in the stomach but, as long as it's only a small amount, then I believe dry is fine too.

Thanks Karen.. I have tried to weigh him but he won't sit still for long enough.. As I say it's only with actually stroking him today and feeling his bones that made me alarmed... He is a small boy anyway but this is just a little too small for my liking.....

will monitor meantime.... Thanks again

fee xxx

I used to be able to put Bubbles into a box or container (sounds very undignified and she probably thought it was too :lol::lol:) for just long enough to weigh her on the kitchen scales. She was very small too and I think sometimes that means even the smallest amount of weight loss can look quite shocking on them.

Rum fits in my biggest mixing bowl for weighing!:oops:

You may also find he is naturally a skinny bun. I have had Rum on all sorts of diets, back and forth to the vets to have checks and be weighed yet it is just how she is. If you feel her, often she feels like a sack of bones, other times ok but her weight never fluctuates more than 50g up or down. That's why I have regular weigh ins with them all because the scales don't lie but my fingers seem to feel different things on different days!!

Thanks Karen.. I have tried to weigh him but he won't sit still for long enough.. As I say it's only with actually stroking him today and feeling his bones that made me alarmed... He is a small boy anyway but this is just a little too small for my liking.....

will monitor meantime.... Thanks again

fee xxx

I always either pop them into a carrier then step onto the scales with bunny in the carrier in my arms.
Then re weigh without bunny (while i'm still holding carrier) and then the difference is buns weight.
Or if you can hold them long enough step onto scales with them in your arms.

He may be looking skinny due to his moult.
Parsley is 6.6 pound's which is 3kg, but during his moult I was panicking cos he looked so small!!
I weighed him everry few days for a few weeks rather than the once a week I usually do, (I was bloomin paranoid :lol: )

Find out his weight then decide on whether he need's to put n the beef :) xxx

Really??

I have only ever given porridge oats dry, and have never heard of feeding it made up like that. I know dry it is good for putting on weight.

feeding them dry can cause issues.
Mind that porridge soaks up water and expands, so you don't wan't to be feeding them to bun and then them expanding in the stomach.

A few dry ones wouldn't hurt but I am always wary about any more than that.
And my vet feels the same.

Aarrggghhh....... There are more squishy caecals today...reckon another vets visit is in order. He is still eating though....

He was on burgess excel pellets at rescue , now transferred to SS. ( over time) Could this be causing squishy pops too?? Due to higher fibre??

Fee xx

I'm another who feeds soaked oats, but in your case I would be waiting for his tummy to settle down before adding anything in to his diet :wave: it won't matter if he's lost a little weight (and you should be able to feel his shoulders and ribs slighty anyway) while you work out whats causing the excess poos :wave:

You might want to try your wee boy with these. I used them for Bilbo when he was poorly and losing weight. They worked very well as he is a bit of a chubster now.

I find a higher carb and protein content in pellets is what can cause squishy poo's sometimes. Too many fresh noms and spring grass can do the same. If he is getting any of these you may want to start an elimination diet where you gradually reduce these foods. You might even want to reduce the pellets completely for a while and see how he goes on a hay only diet.

cheers Fifi....

Can I ask if you use these in addition to pellets or instead of... There's more squishy caecals this afternoon..

Fee x

cheers Fifi....

Can I ask if you use these in addition to pellets or instead of... There's more squishy caecals this afternoon..

Fee x

Spenser had them initially as a supplement. He doesn't need them now, but has grown rather fond of them so I always keep them in stock as if he is in a mood and will not eat his ordinary pellets he will usually accept a scoop of the pro-fibre. The tub comes with a little scoop.

Back