• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunnies :(

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Two poorly bunnies here currently :cry: One is terminally ill so I know I'll be loosing her at some point :(

Dolly has a 'bad' eye, she has a slight ulcer on it and is blind as a bat (has been for well over a year). The eye is swollen and has something else wrong with it which I can't remember the name of :oops:

So it's being removed very shortly, she was booked in for Wednesday just gone but my vet is on holiday and the other vet that I was happy to do the op cancelled because he was ill :?

Dolly is about five years, pyschotically manic and is perfect health otherwise, everyone is saying I should just have her PTS instead of removing the eye.

Why?

Obviously I know there is a risk she won't come through the operation but she's had no sight in that eye for around a year so she won't miss it, she's in perfect health otherwise, so I don't see the issue.

My vet supports my decision, she would do the op if it was her own bun

So sorry about your terminally ill bun :cry: As for dolly, I can see no reason why she can't live life as "normal" with her eye removed. I'm sure your vet wouldn't go ahead if she didn't think Dolly had a good chance of having a good outcome. Most good vets don't have any problem with GA now, so the main risk will be aftercare to prevent infection.

We had cats growing up in my house, our last cat had a blood clot in the lung and after drugs it went away but sadly damaged his heart. The vet said he will have another and it will be painfull so would maybe have 6months to live. And he wouldnt be allowed outside as when he had the clot it made his back legs go but he somehow made it back home but the vet said he may not be so lucky next time as he may not make it back and die in pain and alone somewhere! Anyway the point is when my mum got him home he was so sad, kept trying to get out as he loved being outside. He was off his food too. He was such an unhappy kitty that my mum had him pts. She was so upset but said..... i know my own cat and know it was time for him to go, i cant drag it out if it means hes going to have a horrible last few months of life for me. So what im saying is only you know if your bunny if you think shes happy and has a good quality of life then dont let others try to put that down. Like you say shes used to having one eye no point in keeping it if its causing probs and discomfort. Ive seen quite a few cats with one eye and they seem happy, there are many animals with one less leg and are happy too xx

Back