• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Septrin dosage

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Just given Alice her 1st dose, 0.75 ml seems like a lot! Almost a full seringe :shock:
Does that sound right?

Sounds about right to me. The dose rate is 40mg/kg every 12 hours which is 0.625ml/kg every 12 hours. As Alice is a tiny Bunny 0.75ml seems a likely dose.

I had to feed 0.9 ml to Lucky which is almost a full syringe. He wasn't keen on the syringe so I emptied the contents into a bowl and it looked like a small amount in there.
It just appears as loads when in the syringe.

:wave:

I had to feed 0.9 ml to Lucky which is almost a full syringe. He wasn't keen on the syringe so I emptied the contents into a bowl and it looked like a small amount in there.
It just appears as loads when in the syringe.

:wave:

Yeah Alice has most of a syringe, just seems so much :shock:
Plus we have to give it to her twice a day for 20 days and I don't think there is going to be enough.

She absolutely LOVES the taste of it though, and licks it from the syringe, Bear also hangs around in case she spills any :lol:

I don't think Doughnut had that much when she was on it. She loved it too, licked it out of the bowl.

How's the treatment going with Alice? I've cut and pasted your consultation with John onto Vegan's post, I hope you don't mind. She's tried the bandages and it's hard for them to stay on.

I don't think Doughnut had that much when she was on it. She loved it too, licked it out of the bowl.

How's the treatment going with Alice? I've cut and pasted your consultation with John onto Vegan's post, I hope you don't mind. She's tried the bandages and it's hard for them to stay on.

I haven't really noticed an improvement from looking at her feet, but she was running around like a nutcase this morning which made me smile :D
Feeling a bit down about it at the moment if I'm honest, washing her feet and putting the cream on is a nightmare and I can tell its hurting her, and seeing no improvement is just making me sad :(

Oh no, I guess she's not in pain but the trouble is still there. Try not to get down, I know it's easier said than done as I still get down sometimes with Doughnut.

Maybe it's just early days or maybe there will be another course of treatment he will suggest. He sounds very good.

Lots of hugs to you and little Alice and not forgetting the gorgeous Bear.

Back