• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too soon?

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
It's been 5 days since Misty was spayed, and I think she's just about back to her cheeky old self, minus the finger biting!
She was a house bunny, mostly in the kitchen but is allowed in the living room supervised (wires... Already had to replace 2 landline phones!) only closed into her cage between 4-6pm so my mum can hoover and mop the kitchen floor, and get dinner without worrying about standing on bunny. Even though she wont eat our food, she still likes to be part of the action :lol:

Anyway, is it too soon after her op for her to be left unsupervised in the kitchen through the night?
Is it too soon for her to be able to hop in and out of her cage without catching her tum? We (did) leave the front of the cage open while she's out, so she can come and go as she pleases.
How soon after being spayed did you leave your rabbits unsupervised for the first time?

Cheers :)

If she has stitches it is best to wait until these are removed - this gives 10 days of relaxation to recover properly. It is a big operation and the time will pass fairly quickly, so better to err on the side of caution. Hope she continues to do well.

The stitches are inside her, and dissolvable :) I'm at the vets for her check up in an hour, but I just wondered what other's experiences were, cheers :)

My Does were both going stir crazy after 5 days. Their wounds were healing well so they went back to freeranging.

They had their vet check at 7 days and all was well.

I've only just today let her go back to being out all day, but she hate being locked up at night, always wakes me up about 3/4am digging her blankets and her litter box :/ I'll confirm with the vet today :)

Bella was still out after her op, i just didnt pick her up, she still had free run and was really good bless her. cant wait to get Woody done so they can b friends.

Vet said she's absolutely fine, healing brilliantly, doesnt need to go back :) yay :D problems now, is hopping in and out of her cage. Shes slipping on the blankets, but I thought putting woodshavings back in there might irritate her wound. Ahh problems, problems :( lol.

Vet said she's absolutely fine, healing brilliantly, doesnt need to go back :) yay :D problems now, is hopping in and out of her cage. Shes slipping on the blankets, but I thought putting woodshavings back in there might irritate her wound. Ahh problems, problems :( lol.

Could you put carpet tiles down under the blankets, adds warmth and stops slipping? Also if you can get one of those big log bridges and put it where she hops over, she might do a more gentle walk over.

Carpet tiles! Why didnt I think of that! We have some because I bought them for the shed for when I do it up for her. Clever cloggs you are ;):D

Back