• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could i have done anything different?

George&dillon

Mama Doe
As you will see from my post in rainbow bridge, mr floppy went to the bridge, we think the fox paid us a visit and chewed the door, he didn't get thro but we think Mr Floppy died of shock :cry: he'd never been ill never been to vets other than the usual jabs, he was in a brick shed in a hutch with a big scotch blanket over and insultation on the top of the hutch, the door wasn't flimsy by any means.

The fox must of been chewing there a while, it was when the weather had been really bad and frozen for a while, the female was howling 3 weeks ago for a mate in early hours, then i started seeing them both wandering on the street at 730ish, i'm not sure why the fox gave up unless they was disturbed, we have a 4ft wall all the way round the garden, Mr Floppy was free range when we were in.

I know of 2 rabbits on the street that are in hutches outside with no cover over them, very open, free for all to see, they are in sheltered area next to the house wall, to be honest i can't remember the last time i saw them out of the hutch :(

I'm not ready for another rabbit as yet but would love to get another in the future, but i would like to make sure I have done my absolute best to make him/her safe. I suppose my question is could i have done anything different? and why has floppy gone when he was in a secure place and the other 2 are ok when they are so open to foxes?

It does seem very unfair that he was in a shed, in a hutch and they got to him rather than the more exposed ones. I don't think there's much you could have done. What was the mesh like on the hutch? They recommend 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch welded mesh, but it was probably the wood that got chewed through rather than the mesh right? Either way, you'd think the shed would provide protection and it shouldn't be the hutch protecting!

I don't know what the shed is like but perhaps if it was literally falling down, soft or rotting then perhaps that could have helped the fox get access? If not, it just looks like it was a very determined (and stupid) fox. I'm sorry for your loss, I don't think there's anything you could really have done :(

The fox didn't get to the hutch because they didn't get thro the door of the shed, the shed is brick, the hutch mesh was extremely thick not like chicken wire, the wood on the hutch is good aswell its not thin its really thick good wood, we bought it from a rescue that was shutting down :thumb:

I don't have any advice but don't want to make your numbers look worse!

Your thread title doesn't really give any indication what your thread is about, so I would guess a lot of people have opened it to have a look (as I did) only to find that they can't offer anything useful. Try not to be too disheartened.

I'm sorry you lost Mr Floppy.

In answer to the question, no I don't think you could! Some rabbits can be very frightened by things and others an handle them better. The only bit of advice I would say if you plan to get another rabbit is to get a pair. I feel that fear is reduced if they have someone to share it with. This is not to make you feel guilty for not having two by the way as this clearly was not your fault. So sorry for your loss.

I think maybe some bunnies might just take the shock worse than others, if that is the reason that he went to the bridge.

Your shed does sound like it was very secure. Sounds like all you really can do is to fix up the door if you get another bun.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I really don't have any experience of this but I don't think you have any reason to reproach yourself about what's happened. The only thing I can think of is that if your bunny was out a lot more than your neighbours it's scent might have been stronger in the garden.

Really though, it's just one of those things. I don't know how you protect your garden 100% from foxes. If they are determined they are going to find a way in. It sounds like your hutch was sturdy and secure enough. Did you find where they had got into the shed itself? Maybe just make sure any weak points are repaired.

J.x

Please dont torture yourself with this as you have done all you could. I'm sorry about Mr Floppy:(

You did all you could for me floppy.
And you'll be a great bunny mummy for any other buns you decide to invite into your life. Xxxx

so sorry for your loss. sounds like everything was secure and there was nothing more you could have done. the only thing i would say if you do get anymore, is to supervise free range time, as foxes can jump over 6ft fences and now you know they are around, definitely supervise free range time.

Sorry for your loss but I guess it just depends on your bunnies reaction. Sounds like you have done all you can to make it fox proof but you can't help that having a fox chewing outside, frightened Mr Floppy.

I know when I looked outside and a fox was circling Doughnut's enclosure it was very frightening. She could see the fox as she's an indoor rabbit and it's a metal run enclosure. I chased it away and when I went to get her she leapt at the metal, really strange behaviour as I guess she was leaping at the fox. I got her in and she was stamping her foot and making a gasping noise. She calmed down and I feel very lucky she survived that as I guess others may not have.

Please take heart that you did all you can and you know your next rabbit will be safe inside. When you go to a rescue they will know which rabbits are timid or dominant so maybe go for a more feisty one, who hopefully won't be as scared if they hear a fox.

Good luck and lots of hugs.

Back