• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice urgently needed!!

Toadie

Alpha Buck
Frodo has something in the corner of his eye - a couple of years ago he got a grass-seed in his eye which ended up with a few trips to the vet. It doesn't seem to be annoying him - but obviously I want to do something to stop any discomfort he may feel and any vet trips

It depends what it is, if it will come out on it's own or needs a vet trip. You can use water that has been boiled then allowed to cool, with a pinch of salt added to bath it and see if that removes it.

If it's a foreign body in the eye it will need a vet trip anyway I should think, as it will almost a certainly ulcerated around the object, so the sooner it is seen the better as ulcers can get very big very quickly. Dudley had a hay seed in his eye one morning, I got it out fine and his eye looked fine, but by the time I got him to the vets later the same day, it had already ulcered over.

Hope your little one is ok x x

Oh poor Frodo, I hope the foreign body is easy to be removed, if not then hopefully a trip to the vets tomorrow will sort it out.

Noserubs to the real cute, adorable, beautiful, handsome............Frodo.:love:

Can you guess that I have a soft spot for him?

Is it actually embedded in his eyeball or is it just in the corner of the eye?

Does it look like a hay seed?

Whenever I've seen things in my rabbits eyes I have just wiped over the eye very gently(towards the nearest corner to the foreign body) with my (clean) finger to see if it comes away easily or wipe gently (more flushing the eye with the solution and absolutely not applying any pressure that might emed the body further) with cotton wool pad soaked in eyewash. Usually it has come out with no problems.

If it is a hayseed, very gently grip it with your fingernails and remove it as long as it comes away with no effort.

If you can get the body out of the eye, then monitor for the next few days to see if the eye is weeping or scarring - if so a vet trip is in order and they will probably prescribe drops/lotion.

DO NOT continue to try and remove the body if it seems stuck fast, but my opinion is that if it is easily removed then it should be removed as soon as poss.

Back