• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dropping food from mouth

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Just wanting some advice really for my 2 and a half year old buck Benji.

Some of you might remember him as the one with dental problems..

Just been to give him his food (adult supreme pellets) and he went to the dish eagerly and started eating, and then dropped pieces out of his mouth.

He was not doing this when I fed him last night, does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

His last dental was around 3/4 weeks ago, and he only normally needs them every 5/6 months.

Thanks

Could be Dental again, certainly not an impossibility. The only way to find out is to get your Vet to take a look. Does he have any lumps along his mandible and/or runny eyes ?

Could they really grow that quickly again?

I will book him an appointment. No lumps that I can feel, but he won' normally let me touch there for very long.

His eyes seem ok, they look a little puffy but are often like that when it is cold outside.

There is no saliva on his chin either.

To check correctly for lumps on and around the jaw line, is there a specific way of feeling or a certain method to yse? Thanks

Yes, spurs can definitely grow back in 4 weeks, especially if your bun is slow to start eating solid food again after a dental. Was he given pain relief to take home with you after his last dental? he could still be sore or have mouth inflammation from previous spurs, but I would take him back to the vet to be on the safe side.

Hopefully it's just a bit of inflammation..I'm watching my Pebs very carefully at the moment, as he normally needs a dental every 6 months, but,(touch wood!) it has been 8 months since his last dental and that is because I transferred him onto the higher fibre ss and increased his pellets up to 60g a day.. I've tried reducing his pellets very gradually but he started getting a watery eye so I panicked and increased his pellets up to 60g again and his eye stopped watering within a day...so I think spurs can develop very quickly.

Thank you for your replies.

Ive booked him into the vets tomorrow with the rabbit savvy vet that he likes, and will explain all to her and get her to have a close look at him.

I tried him with his pellets again this morning and the first couple dropped from his mouth when he took them from the bowl, but the next few after that stayed in his mouth.

Really don't know whats wrong with him :(

Try softening the pellets by soaking them in boiled water. Not a longterm solution, but just to tide him over til the Vet sees him again.

Thank you Jane- will do.

Benji will eat hay (reluctantly) but I normally pick him fresh grass every day and of course with this weather it hasn't been possible. He hasnt eaten that much in the last 24 hours, but will munch on other things happily.

He doesnt really like his hay :(

Thank you Jane- will do.

Benji will eat hay (reluctantly) but I normally pick him fresh grass every day and of course with this weather it hasn't been possible. He hasnt eaten that much in the last 24 hours, but will munch on other things happily.

He doesnt really like his hay :(

What about the dried forages you can buy ?

Back