• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Josie's Poorly UD She's Gone

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Josie's not well. :( She's eating very little, mostly hay and brambles. She's still pooing, but they're very small now, with a bit of fur in them.

She's moulting, but I'm not sure that's the cause. I just can't put my finger on it. The emergency vet has a dog to see, then he's phoning me back. But he knows very little about rabbits. I wish I had more to go on.

Her stomach does feel a little large considering how little she's eaten today, but she's not showing signs of gut pain, more general pain. She's still moving about, but not with any enthusiasm. Ears? Teeth? I wish I had an otoscope in times like this.

I've given her Metacam and syringed water. I can't do much else until a blockage has been ruled out. Hope the dog doesn't take too long.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well.

ps. I sent you a PM earlier- please do not worry about that- I would not have sent it if I'd read this post:oops:

Thanks guys :)

What about some infacol? And getting her moving? Hope she feels better soon.

I've given her some Infacol, just in case. At least she likes the taste of it!

I'm not sure if she's holding one ear a bit odd? :? Maybe it's always looked like that and I'm just imagining things...

I just gave her a tiny little bit of my toast and she ate that with enthusiasm. I wish she could tell me what the problem is :(

Thanks guys :)

I've given her some Infacol, just in case. At least she likes the taste of it!

I'm not sure if she's holding one ear a bit odd? :? Maybe it's always looked like that and I'm just imagining things...

I just gave her a tiny little bit of my toast and she ate that with enthusiasm. I wish she could tell me what the problem is :(

So sorry to hear this and I hope that Josie starts feeling better soon. I'm always wishing that the buns could talk especially when I get a little worried about them! Sending lots of get well vibes

We're back. Temperature of 104 (why don't I own a thermometer? Must get one.) and slight wheezing on the chest, so we think it's a respiratory infection. She's on Septrin, Metaclopromide (sp?) and Metacam. She likes Septrin, so that helps.

With a bucket of drugs and a few vibes she'll get through this, she's a little fighter :)

The vet wondered if it was connected to the myxi, but that never affected her chest from what I remember. Could it have caused some damage at the time that we didn't know about? Caused a weakness somehow?

The vet wondered if it was connected to the myxi, but that never affected her chest from what I remember. Could it have caused some damage at the time that we didn't know about? Caused a weakness somehow?

Must admit I suspect it is but I did not want to mention it and cause you more upset. Unfortunately Myxi can do internal damage too. Hopefully she will respond quickly to treatment xx

Back