• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Josie's Poorly UD She's Gone

So very, very sad... What a little fighter. Wish I had something of comfort to offer at this sad time Helen... Thoughts are with you.
Bless little Josie, binky free little bun.xxx

:cry:

So very, very sad... What a little fighter. Wish I had something of comfort to offer at this sad time Helen... Thoughts are with you.
Bless little Josie, binky free little bun.xxx

:cry:

Binky free little josie.and all well loved buns that have passed .:cry:

No! So bitterly unfair after you'd both fought so hard. So sorry you lost your precious girl after everything you'd been through together. :cry::cry::cry:

Such a tragic loss :( my heart breaks for you loosing Josie. binky free beautiful angel.

She had the best life with you and knows you did everything you could.

I'm so sorry x

Thank you everyone. I will post a tribute in Rainbow Bridge at some point, but I want it to be a happy thread, and I can't do that now :cry:

I can't stop thinking about all the things I could have done differently. I should have taken her for a check up on the Wednesday. Maybe we missed something, maybe there was more intensive treatment she could have had. She's only been on the Septrin since Sunday afternoon though, I didn't think they'd change it so soon. Maybe if I'd checked on her during the night, or got up earlier I could have saved her. I just didn't think she was going to die :cry:

Six months before the myxi I had a choice, between the old and new vaccinations. She still had 6 months left on her VHD, I didn't want to over vaccinate, and I trusted the old vaccine. It was before the awful myxi season started. I made the wrong choice :cry: If I'd thought about the new vaccine taking 3 weeks to be effective, I could have booked her in sooner for the new one, and maybe she'd have been covered in time. I just didn't think.

I had a bond with Josie like no rabbit I've ever had before, and every decision I made has lead to her death. Now she's gone and there's nothing I can do to bring her back :cry:

:cry::cry: So sorry her loss has hit you so hard. I'm sure you didn't make any errors in your judgement though.

None of us knew how it would work out with the new vaccine, it's easy now saying you should have played it differently but you and Josie were just victims of bad timing. you made your decisions based on what you knew and what you didn't know at that time and what you felt was in her best interests.

As for not taking her for a check up sooner, no doubt you made that decision because you felt it would stress her unnecessarily - it's a decision you made for her benefit not because you couldn't be bothered or any other selfish reason. It might not have made any difference anyway. You even got her to the vets out of hours just as soon as she seemed not quite right, a lot of people would have kept a close eye on her and taken her to the vets the next day - you got her onto antibiotics just as soon as was possible - you looked after her exceptionally well. It's unbelievably tragic that you've lost her :cry:

Back