• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really need some help with housing, please!

Lillypad

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

I've not posted in a while, but I'd really love some opinions, please!

So, whilst visiting our local petshop I've noticed that there is a bunny in there that is for adoption (not for sale). She's a small-medium bun. She always bounces over to see me and seems so so lovely :love: I think my mum may finally be thinking about letting me adopt her :D she's been in there a few weeks and I think she keeps getting overlooked by all the cute baby bunnies.

I'd only be able to keep her outside, and she would have a much more permanent, solid home next spring, so I am looking for something temporary, safe, and big enough for her over winter.

So, I have quite a few questions.

1. Would this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Kenne..._Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c2e56cf6d&_uhb=1
Plus a 6 x 4 run be enough space? I believe it would be 56sqft in total?

2. Do I get her a mate? I don't believe she is spade (but will make sure).
Could an unspade female be paired with a neutered male? Or would it be best for me to wait as they would have to be separated when she is spade? (I'd just worry about her being cold during winter)
If she is spade should I get a mate for her straight away, or would 56ft just not be enough space? (baring in mind this is temporary and in spring they will have 100sqft of space)

3. If I don't get her a mate, what sort of things would I need to ensure she is warm over winter? She's been in the shop for a few weeks so doesn't have a winter coat.

Thank you very much, any other advice would be wonderful!

Set up sounds good:) might be worth finding a taller one though? Or a playhouse/shed and have the run attached to that, would mean more indoor space :) She wouldn't be able to go outside now, it's too late and way too cold. Also could be dangerous for a rabbit with no winter coat, even if they had a play house full to the brim with hay. It would be April time :)

An unspayed female and neutered male might work but it might not, she will be full of hormones and might turn around and get aggressive or just be territorial all the time. Tbh I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

I'm pretty sure that housing would be fine with a 6x4 run attached but someone who knows the advised space specifications for sure should be along soon :)

Hum, it's a difficult one. Dee had a friend for a few weeks before he was killed two years ago, she wasn't spayed until August 2012 and her friend was neutered. it took a LONG time to bond them and god knows why we didn't spay her sooner, would have made things a helluva lot easier! It is always recommended to get her spayed though. personally even if you got her in the next few days I wouldn't get her spayed until after New Year, because if something goes wrong a lot of practice's experienced vets have Christmas off or even close the practice.

Dee doesn't have a husbun, I hate the fact she doesnt but theres nowt i can do about it because we can't afford another one for the time being! She hasn't had anything fancy like a snugglesafe for the past near six winters but she's getting on a bit so we will be buying her one soon! Loads and loads of straw, plenty of food and hay, you can heat bricks on a very low heat for a few hours in the oven and wrap them in a blanket to put under the straw as well i *think*!

Good luck :D

ETA: Just seen she has no winter coat, to be honest I wouldn't be happy about putting her out straight away with no coat. any chance you could have her in the coldest room in the house with the windows open for a few weeks to allow her to start developing a coat?

Thank you!

I think I'll have to leave her then :cry::cry: There's no way I could keep her inside (got 2 dogs and 3 cats, there's not really any space I could keep a bun).
I'll wait until Spring and get a bonded, neutered/spade pair from the rescue.
I guess then they'd have a proper home sorted and wouldn't have to mess around with temporary accommodation.

She's just so lovely :(

Thank you, Jay!

Although I've had bunnies before the thought of having to bond a pair scares me a bit.
I think it would be smarter for me to wait, for mine and the bunnies' sakes.

About heating bricks, though, could you not just heat one of them "heat up bean bags" for them and wrap that in a towel? Or a bottle full of warm water wrapped up? Or is it just in case they chew it?

Ooo I have another question about housing.

So, I have a few chickens who live in a 150sqft enclosure (plus a 6x4 shed for a coop). As I'm reducing my flock they will only be using 70sqft, leaving 80sqft for bunnies.
Would it be best to use something like this for a hutch http://direct.asda.com/Fairwood-Pen...aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=lxlwairq&istBid=t
And making an upstairs in it.

And then also adding levels outside, creating about 80-90sqft of space outside.
(they would also be allowed out into the garden when we're there to supervise)

does that sound like a better plan?

Ooo I have another question about housing.

So, I have a few chickens who live in a 150sqft enclosure (plus a 6x4 shed for a coop). As I'm reducing my flock they will only be using 70sqft, leaving 80sqft for bunnies.
Would it be best to use something like this for a hutch http://direct.asda.com/Fairwood-Pen...aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=lxlwairq&istBid=t
And making an upstairs in it.

And then also adding levels outside, creating about 80-90sqft of space outside.
(they would also be allowed out into the garden when we're there to supervise)

does that sound like a better plan?

Other people have converted bike sheds :) there is some info in the outdoor housing sticky, link in my signature.

Thank you, Jay!

Although I've had bunnies before the thought of having to bond a pair scares me a bit.
I think it would be smarter for me to wait, for mine and the bunnies' sakes.

About heating bricks, though, could you not just heat one of them "heat up bean bags" for them and wrap that in a towel? Or a bottle full of warm water wrapped up? Or is it just in case they chew it?

Wouldn't risk it myself, I gave dee a hot water bottle once but she was in stasis and was very very poorly so didn't really feel like chewing it! I would never give a bun a heat up beanbag thingy because if they chewed it and digested some of the little balls it could be big trouble! The same with a bottle, if they chewed it then they could potentially burn themselves with the scalding water inside, I'd never risk it myself. Better to be safe than sorry!:wave:

Thank you both! I looked at the outdoor housing but completely missed Bike Sheds :lol: I think I'll go with them, seems cheaper, and easier to clean out than a playhouse.

Jay - Yeah I thought as much. I just wasn't sure as my bunnies in the passed never chewed anything they weren't meant too, sort of thing. I didn't know if rabbits had an instinct of what they can and can't chew :oops: Sort of like chickens know what they can and can't eat :lol:

Back