• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

runny nose, Suffles? Is this an improvement?

lovelybun

Warren Scout
hi so my rabbit Chris has had a runny nose for a while now at first he had started sneezing and then he had slight clear nasal discharge, later he had whitish discharge on and off. we had him on antibiotics for 11 days and now he has only slight nasal discharge. is this an improvement? or should i be worried? I called the vet clinic today and the vet is going to call me back.
Here is a picture of his nose.
DSC01749.jpg

11 days isn't really long enough for snuffles 21 days of antibiotic is needed at least. Its not good for him to keep on having short courses of antibiotics. I would be asking for 21 days of septrin or baytril and if it returns again after that course then i would ask for a culture and sensitivity test so you know which antibiotic to use.

Its also worth getting his teeth properley checked. Have his eyes been ok?

is eyes are good. we had him on chloramphenicol(chlorpalm) it works pretty fast. his teeth are good too they filed the back ones down a bit when he was in for neuter surgery two months ago. does this look like an improvement? he still sneezes a bit. he only has a wet nose after he sneezes.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be too worried if its just slightly damp as mine get that sometimes but if he has any white snot coming out after sneezing then I would get him back to the vet to get his lungs listened to and a 21 day course of either septrin or baytril. Its a shame they didnt do the C&S test done while he was under GA then you may have found out what was causing the snuffles. There can be many causes so unless you know whats causing it you dont know which antibiotics will be effective.

Back