• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My darling Poppet is very unwell...

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
My dwarf lop Poppet and I just came back from the vets, and I'm in bits.

She lost her appetite yesterday, which has not happened since she was spayed (she's now 2.5yrs old). She's normally our li'l bunny-hoover who quite happily steals food from her bonded friend Cookie. I checked on her thru the night, and whilst she went toilet (wee & poo), she didn't want to eat and she was withdrawn, which is *very* unlike her. We fed her recovery food from a syringe three times, but as she didn't seem to perk up I took her to the vets.

The vet wasn't the usual one, and her English was rather broken so whilst I understood that Poppet is ill and has a temperature (her ears are less warm now that we are home and she has fresh air again), I didn't understand what the actual problem is. She gave Poppet a shot of antibiotics, a large syringe of fluids and rubbed something on her head 'in case'. I was told to keep her away from her bunny-friend in case it's contagious. Poppet does not have access to a lawn, so have not been in contact with animals other than Cookie and Ricky (the three are not bonded so Ricky lives separately). Their hutch is on a roof terrace, so no chance of cats etc weeing around them.

We were sent home with Fibreplex, Baytril and strict orders of feeding recovery food every two hours thru the night. I've never used neither Baytril nor Fibreplex so a little bit apprehensive. I've looked it up on the web, and it seems one (Baytril) is likely to put Poppet off her food, and the other (Fibreplex) should increase her appetite. Is this correct?

The vet also asked if I give my buns vegetables. I said that I offer fresh herbs rather than veg as veg seems to have an unfortunate effect on their tummies (soft poos), but not every day. They have fresh hay, dried herbs and SS pellets daily, and fresh herbs occassionally. The vet had a go at me (by this point I was crying) and said my buns need fresh veg (carrots and pepper) daily. I'm a bit confused now as carrots are sugary and I didn't think I should be giving them that regularly? I feel like the worst bunny-mummy ever. :cry:

Poppet will need to back in the morning if she isn't better.

Has anyone got any useful advice?

Thanxx :cry:

I'm hoping Poppet will be feeling better tomorrow. Obviously the vet wasn't very rabbit savvy as we know carrots are used only as a treat and peppers are better fed to guinea pigs. Rabbits can go off food for a day, like us, so fingers crossed she will have perked up by tomorrow.

The vet wasn't the usual one, and her English was rather broken so whilst I understood that Poppet is ill and has a temperature (her ears are less warm now that we are home and she has fresh air again), I didn't understand what the actual problem is. She gave Poppet a shot of antibiotics, a large syringe of fluids and rubbed something on her head 'in case'. I was told to keep her away from her bunny-friend in case it's contagious. Poppet does not have access to a lawn, so have not been in contact with animals other than Cookie and Ricky (the three are not bonded so Ricky lives separately). Their hutch is on a roof terrace, so no chance of cats etc weeing around them.

The vet also asked if I give my buns vegetables. I said that I offer fresh herbs rather than veg as veg seems to have an unfortunate effect on their tummies (soft poos), but not every day. They have fresh hay, dried herbs and SS pellets daily, and fresh herbs occassionally. The vet had a go at me (by this point I was crying) and said my buns need fresh veg (carrots and pepper) daily. I'm a bit confused now as carrots are sugary and I didn't think I should be giving them that regularly? I feel like the worst bunny-mummy ever. :cry:

I think you need a more rabbit savvy vet! I don't give mine veg either, they have hay, grass, a small daily portion of SS pellets and bunny friendly plants (including some herbs) that I've grown in pots in the garden as treats. Carrots are sugary, I've never heard anyone say they need them daily!

I've never been given baytril, but fibreplex is like a paste packed with fibre to help get their systems going again. In a similiar situation recently I was also given metacam (painkiller) and zantac (gut stimulant I think) for my bun. Did your bun get any painkillers? Excuse me if that's what baytril is! And what on earth did she rub on her head??

I'd be wary of any vet that advised me to keep a bonded pair apart if there was any other way... and there's no way a vet should ever upset you that much! I'd complain, and ask to see someone else - you said she wasn't the one you usually see?

You are not a bad bunny mummy - far from it! Hope she is feeling better soon!

I agree, the advice your vet gave sounds very dubious, a lot of people don't feed Fresh veg everyday. I do though just spring greens and broccoli occasionally. Carrots they have one a week between 4 of them so about an inch of carrot a week!!

I'm sorry poppet is unwell. Maybe start a new thread and see if anyone can recommend a good vet near you!

So no pain relief was given ??

Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic and Fibreplex is a pre/probiotic paste with added fibre. It (fibreplex) supports gut function.

As for feeding Carrots and Peppers ever day, utter tosh. Hay,herbs and minimal pellets is far better.

Sounds as though it's time to find a new Vet !!

Thank you for your replies.

No, no pain relief was given. I have Meloxidyl in the cupboard, from when Cookie was unwell.

I have given her soem Fiberplex - not popular. I'm going to feed her some critical care now. I so hope she's back to her bouncy self by tomorrow. :(

Hope your bunny is back to normal soon, my Fluffy went in on Wednesday night as she stopped eating again. I managed to get her to eat a few bits of basil but nothing substantial, this meant I was back at the vets on Thursday for more of the same injections.

This (touch wood) has got her back to normal as she is starting to eat again today and is looking relaxed and comfy again.

Hang in there

When Pepper stopped eating the vet said that there wasn't really any cause, but they gave him an injection to help get his guts moving and some critical care (smelt very aniseed) to give him and told me to try and tempt him with cucumber and things he would really enjoy.

How's Poppet?

we had a very stressful weekend but bunny is on the mend - thank God! She's started eating and drinking on her own, so I'm a very relieved mummy! :)

Back