• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing problems.

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi, took Furby to the vets this morning she was breathing odd and just didn't seem herself. We've been away on holiday for a week and was quite shocked how old she looked on our arrival:cry: The vet gave her a good check over and seemed to think it could be a lung infection she's given us Baytril and painkiller, She seems better since being back from the vets, she's eating and drinking fine.
Could it be age realated ? She's around 8 now.

A lower respiratory tract infection can occur at any age. Is Furby spayed ?

I hope she responds well to treatment :)

Hi Jane:wave: Yes Furby was done years ago.. I must admit today taking her to the vets I didn't think she'd be coming home with us :cry:.. She's been in the garden all day and seems okay. x

Out of curiosity, how did they diagnose her? Do they have to do lab tests/x-rays for a diagnosis or can it be done purely from symptoms?

Afraid I don't have anything useful to add, but would like to send my best wishes for Furby.

Just by symptoms, she said there was no need for xrays. She seems quite a bit better today her breathing isn't as panty and she's eating really well..

:wave: Just a quick update Furby has improved loads :D.. Just phoned the vets and told her how she was doing, we've asked for another 5 of baytril as I'm sure I read 5 days may not be enough am I right?

:wave: Just a quick update Furby has improved loads :D.. Just phoned the vets and told her how she was doing, we've asked for another 5 of baytril as I'm sure I read 5 days may not be enough am I right?

I would definitely want to continue abx for longer than 5 days

I am glad to hear that Furby is improving xx

I would definitely want to continue abx for longer than 5 days

I am glad to hear that Furby is improving xx

Hi Jane,

How many days on Baytril would you reccomend for snuffles? V is on about 10days so far. I'm wondering if I should call vets for more. ?? She just said see him in a month to review.

Hi Jane,

How many days on Baytril would you reccomend for snuffles? V is on about 10days so far. I'm wondering if I should call vets for more. ?? She just said see him in a month to review.

Every case is different, but it is usually best to continue the abx for a few days AFTER clinical symptoms resolve. My Vet never prescribes a course of less than 7 days and in some cases the course can be as long as 3-4 weeks. Problems arise if lots of short courses (5 days) of abx are given as over time it can lead to abx resistance.

Every case is different, but it is usually best to continue the abx for a few days AFTER clinical symptoms resolve. My Vet never prescribes a course of less than 7 days and in some cases the course can be as long as 3-4 weeks. Problems arise if lots of short courses (5 days) of abx are given as over time it can lead to abx resistance.

Thanks. Value your input :thumb:

Back