• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Step-by-step Bonding?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave: Right I am trying to prepare myself and get everything straight in my mind and have some kind of plan for attempting to bond my female pair Summer and Skye and new girl Heidi. I thought there was a sticky about bonding that might have had some kind of step-by-step guide? I would appreciate any advice, tell me if u think something would be a mistake or if theres anything i could do differently. Its kind of make or break for them as a trio after last weeks injury through wire im only going to attempt this once! I will be starting bonding probably on Saturday as I have the following week off work so giving maximum time frame to start early! My current thoughts are to start this week by swapping a few toys over in each hutch, some litter and take turns in same outdoor area (if they will cooperate!) One thing at a time not all at once! Then start to rub eachothers litter over them to smell more similar. Then my steps I have in mind are...

Day 1. Put all 3 in bath with towels and depending on reactions, supervise closely for about 10mins.
Day 2. Repeat the bath and if going well increase time to maybe 15mins. Offer favourite treats scattered around.
Day 3. Put all 3 in (neutralised) pen or dog crate in bedroom, again offer treats scattered, and some hay. If going well supervise for about half an hour.
Day 4. Put all 3 in pen/crate again for longer period, maybe an hour.
Day 5. Put all 3 in pen/crate with intention of them staying in it overnight if all is well (will be in my bedroom so can keep eye on them) Leave for short periods throughout the day/evening (within earshot) and check on regularly. Introduce litter trays.
Day 6. Take pen outside for part of the day (weather permitting) and bring back inside for the night.
Day 7. Take pen outside again and introduce to new hutch (without run to start) Bring back inside for evening.
Day 8. Put into hutch for the day and if all is well leave in hutch overnight.
Day 9. Close observation throughout day, introduce run.
Day 10. Back to work eek :shock: hopefully leaving 3 happy buns in their brand new set up :roll:

Ok so seems like I ran out of days!! Do u think it's too slow? Too fast? Heeeeeelllllllllppppp!!!!! :shock:

IN my experience it's impossible to step by step binding because all bunnies, and therefore all bonds, are different. I've just found that I have a variety of things to try and to call on and adjust each bonding to suit the bunnies. there are 'rules' which are often a good starting point but even they don't apply to all bonds. I don't think it would be rigr for anyone to try and give you a step by step because it would be inaccurate. You need to base your next step on what you're seeing at any given time.

My bonding advice can be found on thd stickies thread about bonding trips- its linked in it.

Afraid i have to disagree with almost every step :lol:

Firstly, i wouldn't use a bath, as rabbits can try and escape and the slipperyness of a bath can mean they can injure themselves.
Secondly, you appear to be going for the 'dating' method - this doesn't necessarily suit all bunnies, so just be aware, they may be better off being put into the small neutral space and monitored for several days.
You're looking like you are increasing the space much too quickly. That may cause your buns to scrap. Just be aware of this.

Dog crates aren't recommended for bonding, as they are difficult to get into to seperate any fights that occur, i'd recommend the pen as you mentioned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, i'd be putting them all into a smallish pen indoors for at least 2 days before attempting to move them - the move itself could cause a fight. Don't increase space unless there have been no fights in a 48hr space.
Extend the space slightly by adding say another 2 pen panels if you can. Then again, another 48 hours with no fights.
Keep expanding until it's as large as you can get it, and monitor for 24-48 hours.

Then, is the hutch 100% neutral they are going to live in? If so, close off the ramp and put them in the hutch on day 5/6/7 depending on the above. If not, it'll need thorough cleaning and neutralising.

After another 24-48 hours of being happy in the hutch, open up the run and see how they get on. Chasing/nipping would be normal but they should sort it out themselves. If they dont, back into the hutch and monitor again and try again the following day.

Be prepared for MANY sleepless nights. Bonding rabbits isn't easy even if it seems to be.

Just because the above worked for me and many others doesn't mean it'll work for you - jist be prepared to change your plans base don the bunnies needs :)

I'd also strongly recommend you read Sky-O's site on bonding; http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm - Sky has done many of her own bonds and also bonds for the RSPCA's rabbit centre in Suffolk/Ipswich so knows her stuff :)

IN my experience it's impossible to step by step binding because all bunnies, and therefore all bonds, are different. I've just found that I have a variety of things to try and to call on and adjust each bonding to suit the bunnies. there are 'rules' which are often a good starting point but even they don't apply to all bonds. I don't think it would be rigr for anyone to try and give you a step by step because it would be inaccurate. You need to base your next step on what you're seeing at any given time.

My bonding advice can be found on thd stickies thread about bonding trips- its linked in it.

I quoted your site :wave:

Hope thats okay :)

Thanks for the replies :wave: I feel a bit panicky about it all now but I'm trying not to as I feel like the rabbits might pick up on my nervous vibes!! :roll: Im going to have a good think about it and the best way forward. Iv currently got Summer and Skye out free ranging as there was no way they were letting me get them to go in the run!! They have both become a lot more skittish since Heidi has been in the picture, don't know if this is normal or if it's a bad sign :( But on a positive note, they have both been having a good run around and done a few binkies, they've had a sniff around the run and Heidi's hutch. Summer is the one whos shown the most interest she's been over a good few times and Heidi has been very interested in watching them, trying to figure out how the door opens so she can get out!! But no fear or aggression shown by either. Ears not back or anything, although they can't get face to face as Heidi's hutch is on legs but maybe that's for the best!! Iv put the carrier out that Heidi had in run and summer has been in it a couple of times but been a bit nervy and also marked her scent on it! Not sure how that'll go down with Heidi!
Btw Graham, the hutch and run will be completely new so yes, neutral, and the area that iv been preparing for the run has been blocked off since I started on it so even the grass is new and neutral!! This is part of the reason why I thought getting Heidi would be ok as they could all move in together. I'm already planning for if this doesn't happen tho, the last thing I want is for Summer and Skye to be upset as they r so good.

I always feel a bit panicky and nervous before bonding, so I take a few deep breaths to calm myself:D
Then I talk to them, just stuff like Flopsy I want you to be nice to Tiny and don't fight with him:D
I say all this in a really nice calm voice and that helps me stay calm:D
Good Luck

I have to say I agree with graham and sky-o, sorry! While it is impossible to set out exactly how you should bond because all vary as sky-o says (I'm bonding a pair at the moment and I have broken virtually all the rules - but it has been because I have done so many bonds now that I know when I need to adapt things to suit each pairing) there are certain things I would and wouldn't plan on doing - although I would adapt if the bond needed something different.

If you've got 10 days then personally I wouldnt bother with the short introductions, I think this method is only really of value if you're planning on date-bonding for weeks and weeks. If you've got a deadline to be back at work then I would just start out straight off with the intention of keeping them together, I don't really see any value in doing short introductions for a couple of days before launching into leaving them together all day or night - those short sessions over just a few days won't have been enough to have changed how they react to each other when together all the time, so all you are doing is giving yourself less time to get on with the bonding. If you separate them after 15 mins on day 1 because one starts to try and hump another, for instance, you're only going to end up back at exactly the same place on day 3. Personally I am quite interventionist in the first few hours together, gently holding buns across their shoulders if it looks as if they are likely to lunge/bite other buns, so that they all start to calm down without getting confrontational and others responding with defensive aggression. I find that if I invest a few hours doing this at the outset, it helps everybun to calm down a little and realise that the others are not a threat.

I would also recommend that you buy/borrow/use/make some kind of small bonding pen which you can access easily (indoor cages with the large top opening are ideal) and just stick with that. The more you move them, the more risk there is of them not settling and feeling the need to re-establish territory, so it is far better to just have one pen and keep them in it all the time. As a general principle I would have them for at least 48 hours after the last scuffle before you increase any space or attempt to move them.

I wouldn't worry too much about how they are behaving towards each other now, if they're all on their own territory it is no indication as to how they will behave when put somewhere neutral together.

Good luck! X

Back