• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure I'm happy with vets advice *UPDATE*

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Took Bear and Alice to the vets this morning, saw a different vet as wanted to get in asap.
Alice I thought had bladder sludge but vet couldn't find anything but a small swelling which she thinks could be from her spay so wants a sample of her wee (how the hell do I get that by the way!). I told her that I'd fed her kale and she said that rabbits shouldn't eat anything but hay and pellets, eh?!
Also, Bear has irritated the skin on his hind legs after being castrated, she has given me some steroid cream for him. But the thing that worries me is I had to sign a disclaimer as its for cats and dogs?! Its called Fuciderm, is this OK to use? I haven't put any on yet to scared! Other than that she suggested putting a cone on his head if the cream doesnt work, I dont want that :(

Last edited:
ALSO forgot to say my appointment was supposed to be yesterday afternoon, they cancelled it!
Really not happy as thought I'd found a good vets for them :cry:

Not suprised you're not happy as that diet advice sounds different to what my vet would give.

I suggest maybe starting a thread for people to reccomend a rabbit savvy vet in your area?

Good luck x

Minilop3
I believe Fuciderm is okay to use on rabbits
But would be careful to not let the rabbit lick on it..

This is what I'm concerned about as its to be applied to the skin he is licking :( I cant get him to stop licking without the cream on there so know he will go crazy when its on there!

This is what I'm concerned about as its to be applied to the skin he is licking :( I cant get him to stop licking without the cream on there so know he will go crazy when its on there!

Apply just a thin layer, and have him on your lap while the gel gets absorbed.

The disclaimer is not such a worry, though it does indicate a less educated vet. Many medications are not officially licensed for rabbits or other small furries. essentially if it goes wrong in anyway they can't be to blame because it isn't "supposed" to be used.
Most good vets have more sense than this, the meds are often used already just not licensed. it's an odd scenario.

Many of us on here have used Fusciderm, myself included. The distraction once applied technique is a must!

Sounds like she is not such a good vet though if she is advising you only to feed hay and pellets.

The disclaimer is not such a worry, though it does indicate a less educated vet. Many medications are not officially licensed for rabbits or other small furries. essentially if it goes wrong in anyway they can't be to blame because it isn't "supposed" to be used.
Most good vets have more sense than this, the meds are often used already just not licensed. it's an odd scenario.

This is incorrect

ALL Vets are required to obtain a signature from a client if medication is being used off licence. In no way is this a reflection on the competence of the Vet

The Drugs Cascade

The Veterinary Medicines Regulations states that legally vets are required to treat animals with medications that have been:
safety tested in the species being treated, and
have proven efficacy for the condition being treated, wherever possible. This precludes the use of generic drugs from the field of human medicine.
Where there are no products that meet this criterion, vets can prescribe a medicine that is:
authorised for the same condition but in another species, or
for another condition within the same species.
As these medications have not been tested in the animal for the condition being treated, use of them requires the vet to inform the owner of this and the owner must give consent for the ('off label') use of the medication.

If there is no suitable medication in these categories, then the vet can prescribe:
a human medicine authorised in the UK, or
a veterinary medicine authorised in a European country (for any species but if it is to be used in food producing animals it must be authorised for use in another food producing species).
Failing these alternatives, it is possible to use a veterinary medicine that has been manufactured by a pharmacist, veterinary surgeon or manufacturer authorised to manufacture that product by the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State must also certificate any medication that has been imported from non EU countries.

It is important to realise that failure to treat animals according to the cascade is a criminal offence.

This is incorrect

ALL Vets are required to obtain a signature from a client if medication is being used off licence. In no way is this a reflection on the competence of the Vet

The Drugs Cascade

The Veterinary Medicines Regulations states that legally vets are required to treat animals with medications that have been:
have proven efficacy for the condition being treated, wherever possible. This precludes the use of generic drugs from the field of human medicine.
Where there are no products that meet this criterion, vets can prescribe a medicine that is:
As these medications have not been tested in the animal for the condition being treated, use of them requires the vet to inform the owner of this and the owner must give consent for the ('off label') use of the medication.

If there is no suitable medication in these categories, then the vet can prescribe:
a veterinary medicine authorised in a European country (for any species but if it is to be used in food producing animals it must be authorised for use in another food producing species).
Failing these alternatives, it is possible to use a veterinary medicine that has been manufactured by a pharmacist, veterinary surgeon or manufacturer authorised to manufacture that product by the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State must also certificate any medication that has been imported from non EU countries.

It is important to realise that failure to treat animals according to the cascade is a criminal offence.

Ah! Ok. I didn't know that was how it worked, thats really useful to know :oops: :wave:

Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane
This is incorrect

The Drugs Cascade

This is good to read, puts my mind at ease slightly! Just made me feel very uneasy signing a disclaimer but to see why helps, just want to do the best for him, thank you :)

Argh couldnt get her to wee where I could pick it up!!
AND noticed this morning shes not eating her cecotropes!

:cry:

Back