• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike - update page 7 with picture (not yucky)

DDD

Mama Doe
Desmond has fly strike. I noticed late afternoon and phoned the emergency vet straight away. He didn't want Desmond to come in (which I was quite shocked about as thought they were all after money), but just said to keep washing and flushing Desmond under the tap to rinse them away. After a couple of hours, he had more signs of maggots, so all rinsed again. After a sleepless night, I was expecting to find him dead, but he is still here. Unfortunately, I thought he was free from them but I could still hear the maggots when I picked him up. He has now had another wash (which he doesn't appreciate) and I am waiting for the normal vets to open at 8.30. I start work at 8.30 but won't go in, will make the time up. I know they are going to put him to sleep, but I feel so sad because this time yesterday he was fine. He had EC about 6-9 months ago, which affected the way he wees, but I have been washing him regularly so he wasn't covered in wee. This is the most devastating thing I have ever had happen to any of my pets as I am completely helpless, and I know deep down that even with all this washing he will be put down. I'm in floods of tears. I also feel so bad about his brother Douglas as they have never been seperated since birth. I have had them for nearly 5 years, so they have led a pampered life. They live in a 6-4 foot shed with attached run, and also a run on grass. They have both had syphyllis 3 times, and dentals which they have survived, and now this from 1 horrible fly.

My biggest dilema now is do I leave his body at the vets or bring him home to bury?? I know I won't be coming home with my cute Desmond alive.

Last edited:
Oh god :cry:

I am totally shocked at the Emergency VET'S response, completely unacceptable

As for being told to wash him................. :?

That is sadly irrelevant now but still..........

I would just be on your Vet's doorstep at 8.30, dont wait to phone. Poor Desmond needs help immediately :cry:

As to whether you bring him home to bury him, it really is only a decision you can make.

I would certainly take Douglas to the Vet too so he can have a thorough examination

I would also burn all bedding and completely disinfect and dry out the hutch/cage/shed

Also, maybe start using fly netting over the living accommodation

Poor Desmond :cry:

Good god!!!!
I really hope you get all these wee blighters out of him and it is not as bad as you think. This is such a nightmare for you.

Vibes from me x

What a horror.

Shocked at the vet's reaction.

I can't offer any practical advice (but Jane has already posted this), but just wanted to say how sorry I am: I had a similar thing happen before I found a rabbit savvy vet and before I had a lot of experience of rabbits.

It wasn't my usual vet who was on call. I can't even look at Desmond it is making me so sad. He is still eating and pushing his hay around as he does but I know it is too late. I check them everyday twice, I clean their shed every day, us disinfectant once per week. I am a good owner and they lead a pampered life, just in such shock that this could happen. I know that he has had the best 5 years already, just a shame he needs to go in this way as it is horrible. I keep phoning hoping that they will switch phones on early, will be going there at 8.30 anyway, as I just want him out of misery. I have to go back to work for 11.30 as have a patient to see, so I hope it is all over with by then.

I have checked Douglas, and he is fine. He keeps himself clean, I think this has happened because Desmond is incontinent of urine since EC and also has a bit of a lame leg, but he was getting along fine with those problems. I am going to have nightmares of maggots

OMG THe vet wouldn't see him?:evil::evil::evil:

I have seen cases in other peoples sheep where the whole hind end has been stripped of skin, yet with the right nursing they have made it. Now I know a bun is a far more delicate creature but don't give up just yet however awful it looks.

There are sprays the vet can use that will kill all maggots and then with fluid therapy, pain relief and antibiotics he could survive this.

After that. The biggest thing you could do to safeguard you bunnies health IMO would be to change your vet and report this one:evil::evil:

Good luck and big squishes for you :love:

My usual vet is lovely, she would see an animal at anytime. I don't know who this on call one was. I'm sorry to be negative, but it is really bad. They are in his skin and driving him crazy. I can't believe how he could be fine at lunctime, and then like this by 5pm. Last night he looked like he was going to die and I actually hoped he would as I don't want him to suffer. Keep phoning vets so can speak to them as soon as they open.

Aw hun, let your normal lovely vet know what has happened then as this is so far out of order it is beyond belief.
I won't describe how bad the sheep I have nursed for others where just yet as it is gross, but it is amazing what they can survive.

Edited to add, just get down there, I would!
You have a medical emergency and have been fobbed off long enough.

My usual vet is lovely, she would see an animal at anytime. I don't know who this on call one was. I'm sorry to be negative, but it is really bad. They are in his skin and driving him crazy. I can't believe how he could be fine at lunctime, and then like this by 5pm. Last night he looked like he was going to die and I actually hoped he would as I don't want him to suffer. Keep phoning vets so can speak to them as soon as they open.

I fully understand and sadly it is the *internal* damage that we cant see that is very likely to be the issue now

If, god forbid, I ever had such a severe case of FS here I would always opt for PTS

Treating is futile if the maggots are feeding internally :cry:

I really am so very sorry, it must be like an awful nightmare :cry:

This is horrendous! :shock::cry::cry: I am so very sorry, this must be awful for you to have to go through and poor Desmond :cry::cry: x

Thanks for well wishes.

My usual vet is in hospital so I couldn't see her. She is usually suffering as she has chest problems and is allergic to animals!!

Desmond is currently at the vets for treatment, so still some hope now. I took him there to be put to sleep, but they think he can be helped as they are on his skin, rather than going up his bottom.

Fingers crossed, they are going to phone me later with an update. I did say that if they feel there isn't hope, I would rather PTS now than string it along.

Thanks for well wishes.

My usual vet is in hospital so I couldn't see her. She is usually suffering as she has chest problems and is allergic to animals!!

Desmond is currently at the vets for treatment, so still some hope now. I took him there to be put to sleep, but they think he can be helped as they are on his skin, rather than going up his bottom.

Fingers crossed, they are going to phone me later with an update. I did say that if they feel there isn't hope, I would rather PTS now than string it along.

That is good that there is still a glimmer of hope. I will be wishing for your lad to pull through. You really are giving him the best shot by leaving him with the vets. Millions of continued vibes from me. x

How awful :cry: I really hope they can help him.

If the vet actually refused to see him then I am utterly appalled. Words fail me :censored:

Lots of vibes for Desmond xx

Thanks for well wishes.

Oh hun! I am sooooooo glad he is still here!
I wish you and Desmond every get well vibe possible, as I have had far too many experiences of dealing with this (generally after 2 or 3 days:shock::shock:, 'Ah It's just a sheep it'll be alright' :evil::evil:) and I know well the horror and revulsion of that sight. I now treat the sheep and tell them later. Shame you can't use crovect on buns :( kills the little :censored: maggots and numbs the area slightly, it must be bliss for the sheep!
When (I say when, not if;)) he has recovered, the healed new skin will be extra sensitive and fragile for a fair time so be aware. More of a issue with sheep and sunburn as the healed skin is exposed to the sun unlike with a bun.

Back