• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard, Beaphar fly spray or...?

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Is there another one? I thought I'd read about a third option but can't find it now. Maybe I imagined it. :lol:

Also, is it Rearguard which is prescription only? I believe it is the stronger of the two?

We use Rearguard, it is a prescription-only one and is quite expensive but lasts for 6 weeks (I think from memory). Our vets do a price match thing where if you can find it cheaper on the internet they will do it at that price. You could ask if your vets do the same?

I've not used the Beaphar one.

There is a third one, Xenex Ultra, but I would not touch it with a barge pole after it caused nasty skin irritation/burns on two of my rabbits. If you do a search on here for it you will see that others have had problems with it too - Sky-O I think has also found it caused problems and I know she is very up on it.

I have never used rearguard,don,t think you need to on an healthy rabbit.I clean all litter trays out with citronella oil,I also hang out cotton wool wrapped in muslin cloth and soaked in citronella oil around all sheds/ hutches.

We use Rearguard, it is a prescription-only one and is quite expensive but lasts for 6 weeks (I think from memory). Our vets do a price match thing where if you can find it cheaper on the internet they will do it at that price. You could ask if your vets do the same?

I've not used the Beaphar one.

There is a third one, Xenex Ultra, but I would not touch it with a barge pole after it caused nasty skin irritation/burns on two of my rabbits. If you do a search on here for it you will see that others have had problems with it too - Sky-O I think has also found it caused problems and I know she is very up on it.

Ah, that must be the one. That's maybe why I can't find it then, as it's dodgy! That's great about your vets, it's not actually my vets but I will tell the person in question. I believe you can ask for a vets prescription then buy it elsewhere though? 6 weeks is pretty good, from what I've been finding it's around £20 to buy online.

I use the Beapher one :thumb:
i use beaphar as its cheaper

Do you know how long it lasts?

I have never used rearguard,don,t think you need to on an healthy rabbit.I clean all litter trays out with citronella oil,I also hang out cotton wool wrapped in muslin cloth and soaked in citronella oil around all sheds/ hutches.

Unfortunately the rabbit in question is not healthy. Well, she is, but despite diet changes etc. she has problems with her back end and regularly has poo stuck around her bum. She is very big (although not fat) and has odd body proportions, a small head to a very big body. She just has problems cleaning herself due to her size, poor love. She was also kept in a tiny hutch from a young age before being rescued by her current owners, and I have wondered if the extreme lack of space may have contributed, as I think she would have struggled to turn around in her old home, much less have a good wash. :(

I have read about the citronella and netting and am going to suggest them. I believe lavender can also help, one member actually suggested sudocrem on another thread as it is lavender scented :D

Back