• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny wont eat Plz help

Hello.... I have a 7 month old mini Rex His name is Hoppy ive had him for two months and 12 days he dosnt eat carrots, apples, timothy hay, bannanas, pellets, ect the only thing he will eat is a little grass. Ive tried to hand feed him but it wont work i tried putiing oats didnt work his prevouis owner said he ate just fine Im scared he will quit eating all together also hoppy pounces and growls at me when i slowly put my hand in the cage people tell me to give him time but its been 2 months and 12 days he should be use to me by now!

You need to get him to a vet really quickly. A rabbit that isn't eating properly is really serious. He could have a lot of pain with his teeth or many other things. You are right to worry.

Hi there bunnylover, welcome to the forum. :D:wave:

How long has it been since Hoppy has last eaten? Is he not eating food at all, or is he just not eating very much? If he hasn't had anything to eat it becomes a medical emergency, as rabbits have very sensitive tummies and not eating at all can kill them. I don't mean to frighten you, just wanted to say that bit first as it's important.

If Hoppy is eating little amounts, then you still need to see your vet, but it's not an emergency, a daytime appointment is fine. Your vet will need to give him an examination to tell what's wrong really. Rabbits are prey animals so they are very good at hiding illness, and often the first sign of your rabbit being ill is that he goes off his food. Your vet will likely check his teeth (dental problems are common in bunnies) and ask you questions on his behaviour, and possibly arrange more tests to find out what the problem is.

Lots of stress can sometimes cause a bun to go off their food, like a change in owner, but as he has been with you a while it should really have settled down by now. Carrots, apples and bananas aren't great food apart from for special treats as they are very high in sugar - things like spring greens, broccoli, rocket are healthier choices to feed regularly. You are bang on with the pellets and timothy hay though.

With regards to the behaviour, it could be a couple of things. Rabbits can become aggressive when they are ill, so it may be that. They can also be very aggressive and territorial if not neutered. As Hoppy is only 7 months I'm assuming he isn't neutered? Neutering will remove hormones and calms down lots of bunnies, it also means you could even get him a friend, as rabbits love company. :D

It may also be that he's just new and scared and not used to you. 2 months isn't really a long time for a rabbit, I had a girl who took 6 months before she stopped grunting at me! Rabbits are used to predators who attack them all the time, so they are always on the defensive. It will just take time. Spend lots of time with Hoppy. Don't pick him up or touch him, just let him hop around you and come and sniff. Have something tasty with you so that he associates you with good things, although I appreciate that's difficult if he won't eat! Talk to him a lot. Start with little stokes on the head, then move on to the ears, then the back, just taking your time over a few weeks. Eventually he should learn to trust you.

Has he only been eating small amounts for the last 2 months? I'm thinking maybe when you adopted him the stress of changing homes caused him to go into a mini stasis episode and now he is having trouble getting out of the cycle? I've experienced something similar. Of course it's possible he's got an illness...the only way to tell for sure is to go to the vet. If it is mini stasis hopefully with some pain meds, probiotics and possible hand feeding, he will get out of it without much trouble. Lots of exercise will help get his gut moving too.

I don't think I'd try anything right now but hay, grass, pellets and good forage food for when rabbits aren't eating since he isn't eating much, especially avoid sugary foods because too much can further mess up the gut. :)

Fiber is great for the gut so hay and grass is very good. I've found that when my Ben has been in mini stasis he only wants hay which is very odd because pellets is his favorite thing ever. He only wants pellets when he's feeling better. I wonder if rabbits somehow know (or their body knows, so they crave it) that they need hay when they're feeling bad :?

Last edited:
Back