• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscar has wet eyes (smelly!!!)

Suzi Wong

Mama Doe
Exactly as the title states really. For a few days now we have noticed the fur is a bit wet at the corner of Oscars eyes (near his nose side), we have been bathing them and wiping them and it doesn't seem quite as bad now and he isn't at all bothered by it. I'm just concerned obviously as it's never happened before and I've been searching the internet and there's no mention of bunns having bad smelling wet eyes!.
Has anyone else had any experience of this?
Thanks
Sue & Oscar.

Sounds as though he has blocked and infected nasolacrimal ducts.

He needs to be examined by a Vet who may need to attempt to flush out the ducts to try to clear any pus that may have accumulated. Antibiotic eye drops are then usually required. The Vet may also want to investigate the possibility of the primary issue being tooth root elongation. Overgrown tooth roots can press on the nasolacrimal ducts preventing them from allowing drainage.

Finally, the risk of flystrike is increased in a Rabbit with an active infection (the smell would indicate this is likely) which also causes the fur and skin to be constantly wet. So extra vigilance is required in that department too.

If it smells that is a sign of infection so I would definitely get to the vets as soon as you can.

Thanks Jane,
Will be taking him to the vets tomorrow, very concerned obviously as he is 8 years old now and we're not used to him being poorly, we thought he had always eaten a good diet but it's probably due to his age things may be different now with his teeth etc, I never even thought about him being more at risk of flystrike, so thank you again xxx.
Sue & Oscar,xxx

You'll most likely just be given antibiotic drops to put in. Cleaning them as you are is good too, boiled and cooled water is the best. It could be teeth but I hope it isn't. Grim's eyes smell a lot when they're infected, his tear ducts are blocked so his eye run constantly and it's not always infection. I can tell when they're infected when they start to smell and then I can use the eye ointment.

Thanks Jenova, yeah have been using cooled boiled water for them, I hope we get away with just needing cream or drops.
I don't know how I'll cope if he needs dental work! xxx

Thanks Jenova, yeah have been using cooled boiled water for them, I hope we get away with just needing cream or drops.
I don't know how I'll cope if he needs dental work! xxx

Eye infections can be pretty uncomfortable so he might not be himself, but have you noticed him going off any food at all? When tooth roots block the tear ducts that's usually quite painful. Grim couldn't eat hay because it hurt too much (which made it worse in the long run).

Hi Jenova.
No It's really strange because i immediately thought it was a tooth problem but he is not struggling with any food at all! if anything he is greedier(although I'm now wondering if he's not been eating as much hay :?). Oh I dunno but we will find out tomorrow, am dreading it now!!!!!!

Back