• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spring fever or something else?

Alicia

Mama Doe
My male, Felix has been quite grumpy the last 2 months. He bit my partner and he regularly grunt and lunges at us (it doesn't seem too bad, I just stay still and he stops by me he doesn't bite or anything (apart from that one occasion with my partner) he just seems very grumpy. He is neutered and has been for 3 years, he's about 5 now. I've never experienced this with him before, he went for his vaccinations about a month ago and I mentioned it to the vet and he said about spring fever and he wasn't too concerned but it's been a couple of months now and this behaviour is still going, is he unhappy or stressed? Or should I just wait longer? He loves being out in the garden so we are getting him out there as much as possible, but he's not as keen on his food as he was (although he is still eating) and he generally just seems sad/not himself.

I would get him checked out again. Maybe a full blood profile and check his weight weekly.

He could be unsettled if his partner isn’t well, too

Agree with both of the above comments, especially as you mention a reduction in appetite.

Things the Vet needs to check for are any possible source of pain -teeth, ears, spine, abdomen. Check his weight. He should have been weighed when vaccinated, so weight loss would be evident if he now weighs less than the weight recorded then and would be a ‘red flag’

Monitor the dynamics in the bond with his partner too.

Also check his eyesight.

Back