• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss

Dot

Warren Scout
If you have a rabbit who cannot eat hay due to having front teeth removed, cannot (or will not) eat greens of any kind and who will only eat pellets, how do you get them to lose weight without going hungry?

Have you tried chopping up hay to get him eating? I think you can get incisor-less bunnies to eat hay, but I haven't experience it myself. Maybe if you changed the title to something like toothless bunny and hay more people wil read it?

He was on excel, now excel light, but gets through I'd guess about 4 times as many pellets as he really should. He won't entertain any form of hay or straw, even chopped, and won't eat greens. He was slightly overweight but stable, now he's eating more for some reason (coincided with a new bag of food, so the guess is this one tastes better than usual for some reason) and so is getting bigger - hence now swapped to light food. He gets regular vet checks when getting his teeth done and they never say anything about his weight, but he is getting out of control.

He surely can't be the only bun who refuses to eat anything other than food or pellets :?

My Herbie had to have his incisors removed and I have to prepare all his veg in a specific way so that he can pick it up and eat it. It took him a while to learn how to eat, but gradually he got the hang of it.

Cabbage is cut into thin strips about 1cm wide by around 7cm long.
I cut a slice of carrot into small cubes.
Apple is cut into small cubes.
With broccoli I just cut off the small individual 'flowery' bits on the very end.
Parsley, I just give him the curly bits (no stalks) cut into small bite-sized pieces.
Coriander - I just give him the individual leaves
Rocket - I only give him leaves which are fairly flat and not curling over too much.

He also likes dried plantain, but I have to select specific pieces out of the bag that I know he'll be able to pick up.

Herbie struggles to eat food out of a dish or off a slippery surface, so we made him a little square 'plate' out of a piece of carpet tile. His special plate sits in a cardboard frame to stop the food falling off the back and the sides when he's pushing the veg/pellets around as he tries to pick them up.

Herbie won't eat chopped up hay. He tries to eat hay, but only the long strands and he can't manage it. He tries to eat it like a bun with front teeth and he can't understand why it doesn't work. :(

Hmmm, Grim doesn't eat anything but pellets. He's a dental bun with no front teeth. I give him unlimited pellets and he's not had a weight problem. I think I would suggest a couple of things. Spread his pellets out over the course of the day. Guess at how much he's eating now for a whole day and measure out a portion that is just a little less that. Give it to him in portions every 4 -6 hours throughout the day. He'll be fine left over night for 8 - 10 hours maximum. I usually feed Grim just before I go to bed and as soon as I wake up. Slowly decrease how much he's eating throughout the day until he gets to a good weight and then maintain that amount.

The trouble is you want him to eat constantly due to the way rabbit's stomachs work. It would be great if they did a hay replacement pellet for rabbits. They do them for horses but they're quite big.

Back