• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss

We took our 11 year old rabbit, Dora, to the vet recently for a few things we'd noticed had all of a sudden changed in her (weight, vision loss, mucky bum etc).

Her weight as per the vet was 2.74kg on Feb 6th which was already a loss compared to her usual weight throughout her life, then 2.66kg on March 3rd despite doubling the amount of pellets she has at breakfast she was still losing weight. After this we added in junior pellets to her breakfast and added alfalfa hay to her timothy hay - as we'd heard both could help with weight gain.

We weighed her at home today by popping her in her carry case and holding it with luggage scales. We tested the method by first weighing a new 1kg bag of flour in the case and the method seemed to be accurate, however they say she now weighs 2.10kg. That's a loss of half a kg in a month, providing the vet scales are also accurate.

We've booked her back into the vets for Tuesday, not that I'm sure what they're going to suggest seeing as they couldn't see what was wrong with her last time either, and said "it could be cancer, it could be old age".

She's still happy within herself, gets excited for food when we go into her room etc, but eats far less and far slower than she used to, and is also having extreme vision issues.

I'm concerned that they might say "it's time" on Tuesday - from experience, could this be possible? If she's still happy and not in any obvious pain (although I realise rabbits hide pain well, a recent pain relief trial didn't seem to change anything for her) it just doesn't seem "right" but I don't want her to pass from such extreme weight loss.

If it does happen, I've read that ideally their bonded bunny should have a few hours with them after the fact but that won't be possible. What do we do to help him? He's spent every minute of the last 11 years with her and I worry about him.

Thanks so much for any advice, hopefully I'm just over-worrying and over-thinking..

CqyD-qRtAHr

Firstly, I would ask whether your vet is rabbit savy? If a vet cannot immediately 'see' what the problem is, then I would expect them to carry out some diagnostics, starting with blood tests. How long did you carry out the pain relief trial? It certainly sounds as though she is losing weight, although to be absolutely sure, it's best to weigh on the same scales each time, so obviously she should be weighed on Tuesday.

If it were me I would want some more definite information on what the vet thinks is wrong with her, before considering whether 'its time'. The fact that she is eager to eat and appears happy are signs that her quality of life is not poor. She is eating more slowly, possibly because she is just generally slowing down and not because of anything sinister. I presume her teeth have been examined as far as possible with a conscious rabbit? You say that she is eating less, but also say that she is eating double the amount of pellets now? If she is eating less at one sitting, perhaps try offering small additional amounts during the day.

I would try to get some answers from your vet on Tuesday and also ask whether they would consider a blood test beneficial. Whatever the vet says, you don't need to make a decision there and then. You can come away and consider what to do in your own time without pressure.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on. I can understand how worrying this is for you.

I agree with all of Omi’s comments. Unexplained weight loss can be indicative of problems with the function of the kidneys, not unusual in very elderly Rabbits. A full blood profile would be what I would request, as well as a full examination. As you say your Rabbit is eating and very bright within herself then there is no reason a Rabbit Savvy Vet would suggest PTS just based on the Rabbit’s age. The Vet would run a blood test and if reduced kidney function was to be found there are some treatment options which won’t cure the problem but can help support the kidneys and enable the Rabbit to continue to have a good quality of life for a bit longer.

If your Rabbit is not spayed another possible explanation for the weight loss might be Uterine Adenocarcinoma. Again diagnostics and an examination from a Rabbit Savvy Vet will be necessary.

Last edited:
Sending lots of positive vibes for your bunny.
I agree with the other posts. If she is happy there is no need for you to make a decision at the vets.

It’s great that she’s content, and I’m sorry to hear about the weight loss, which is always hard to see in an aging bunny. I agree with others that further diagnostics are needed. I’m going to use my bun as an example who is now 12; last year he lost a quarter of his body weight, and was referred for a CT scan, which identified a number of issues. He’s now on the appropriate treatment but still has ups and downs.

I personally don’t think she’s at the the PTS stage yet. You’ve also mentioned that she seems really happy, which is very positive. I hope you’re able to find out what’s going on.

Thank you all so much for the information and positive vibes! I'm feeling much better about everything with this knowledge, and will definitely speak to the vet tomorrow about blood tests now I know more. <3

Back