• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril injection over dose

holder

Alpha Buck
Pepe had a really bad time with the Depocillin injection & cannot have it again. Pepe started to sneeze again & once again the snuffles is back. I called the vets & they said they would leave Baytril for me to collect. They have done this a number of times. I called in & collected it & noticed it was a different label on the front & asked the receptionist what it meant & she said it is the strength of the baytril & to gave as normal.
I had to go to look after my dad in Scotland that same day & my son looked after Pepe. I came home today & went to give him his Baytril & the smell knocked me. It smelt like sick. I called the vet straight away & they had no idea, so I took it straight to them. It is Baytril for injections & not to be given by mouth :shock:
The nurse was said it should be fine & she went to speak to the vet. I was waiting for nearly an hour. She came back & said they had called the company & they said he should be OK & the vet said the same but they need to check him over as he as been on it for 4 days at 1ml every day.
I am so mad, I have had to miss work in order for him to be seen as they can only see him at 4pm today. I cannot go work & leave him just incase there is a problem. I am looking on the net for the side effects & just wondered if anyone on here knows any.

Many thanks for any help xx

Thank you both so much. My heart is in my mouth. He is eating thank God, but his poop is very wet & stuck together :(

Thank you both so much. My heart is in my mouth. He is eating thank God, but his poop is very wet & stuck together :(

poor bunny :( at least he is still eating and pooing, did you say your at vets at 4?
surely if they thought it was serious they'd of had you in immediately?
so that might be a good sign - i dont want to say too much because i really dont know much about it but i really hope hes ok!
My bun had depocillin injection and hasnt cured his sniffles and it put him in severe stasis after 1 night so hopefully the baytril hasnt affected your bun badly as you said hed been on it for 4 days? and is still eating etc :)
good luck at the vets though i hope it goes well :)

poor bunny :( at least he is still eating and pooing, did you say your at vets at 4?
surely if they thought it was serious they'd of had you in immediately?
so that might be a good sign - i dont want to say too much because i really dont know much about it but i really hope hes ok!
My bun had depocillin injection and hasnt cured his sniffles and it put him in severe stasis after 1 night so hopefully the baytril hasnt affected your bun badly as you said hed been on it for 4 days? and is still eating etc :)
good luck at the vets though i hope it goes well :)

Yes he is there at 4pm. That is the only appointment they had left for today. Honey was on Depocillin injections for such a long time & that suited her, but Pepe, I thought I was going to lose him. He as been on Baytril since I have had him on & off for years now. It is the first time this as happened.

One thing this as taught me, is to ask every time I go into the vets or phone them, is to ask a lot more questions. I am hoping & praying he will be fine. I worry about his kidneys. I lost Billyboy due to kidneys & my dog Pepe 12 years ago & that was due the meds.

Thank you Run, you have helped me calm down a bit more now :) xx

Yes he is there at 4pm. That is the only appointment they had left for today. Honey was on Depocillin injections for such a long time & that suited her, but Pepe, I thought I was going to lose him. He as been on Baytril since I have had him on & off for years now. It is the first time this as happened.

One thing this as taught me, is to ask every time I go into the vets or phone them, is to ask a lot more questions. I am hoping & praying he will be fine. I worry about his kidneys. I lost Billyboy due to kidneys & my dog Pepe 12 years ago & that was due the meds.

Thank you Run, you have helped me calm down a bit more now :) xx

It is terrible that the vets didnt put anything on the label about it been injectable instead of oral (i would raise that point whilst at the vets as im pretty sure its a vet/nurse error) and see what they say about that.
Im keeping everything crossed for you and will be thinking about you at 4pm.
sending loads of keep eating and pooing vibes. Think of anything you want to ask before you go and write it down so you dont forget anything (thats what i do :oops:) they can probably do a blood test to check kidneys (i think) so if your worried you could ask them about that too. Please let us know how you get on :)

It is terrible that the vets didnt put anything on the label about it been injectable instead of oral (i would raise that point whilst at the vets as im pretty sure its a vet/nurse error) and see what they say about that.
Im keeping everything crossed for you and will be thinking about you at 4pm.
sending loads of keep eating and pooing vibes. Think of anything you want to ask before you go and write it down so you dont forget anything (thats what i do :oops:) they can probably do a blood test to check kidneys (i think) so if your worried you could ask them about that too. Please let us know how you get on :)

I asked the nurse how this could of happened & she said she didn't know. She wasn't helpful at all. I am still looking on the net for a contact number for the Baytril company. I have wrote a few things down that I want to ask the vet, I do that alot lol The vets are always in a rush & you are walking out of the door before you get a chance to ask question, but this as made me change. I will make sure I get to always ask question & double check with the vet & then with the nurse each & every time now. My heart goes out to poor Pepe, every time he is at the vets, he is ill for about 2/3 days after. He isn't a rabbit that you can pick up & cuddle, he likes to be left alone, but since Billy past over, he is in the house all the time now, unless he is out in his run.

One good thing though, he is in his cardboard box ripping it to pieces lol making a right mess :wave:

Thanks again Ran xx

I fine it hard to see how they could have made such a mistake- baytril injectable comes in a container where you have to put a needle into a rubber seal and pull it up into the syringe, that should have then been obvious it wasn't for oral use. The oral just comes in a white bottle.
Are the vets sure that is what has happened, and they haven't given you baytril 10% oral rather than 2.5% oral?

I fine it hard to see how they could have made such a mistake- baytril injectable comes in a container where you have to put a needle into a rubber seal and pull it up into the syringe, that should have then been obvious it wasn't for oral use. The oral just comes in a white bottle.
Are the vets sure that is what has happened, and they haven't given you baytril 10% oral rather than 2.5% oral?

The Baytril came in the same bottle as always (vet bottle) but the label was different on the front with the strength & I asked straight away. But I was told it was fine. Usually the vets do the drugs there & then for you when you visit but I'm not sure who does it when you phone in for it. Who ever it was, vet/nurse, made a mistake. The vet today said he needs the Baytril as always to be give orally with the same strength he as always had. This is the reason he as to go in today for the vet to check him all over to make sure he is OK. The Baytril they gave me was meant for injections & not to be given orally.

The Baytril came in the same bottle as always (vet bottle) but the label was different on the front with the strength & I asked straight away. But I was told it was fine. Usually the vets do the drugs there & then for you when you visit but I'm not sure who does it when you phone in for it. Who ever it was, vet/nurse, made a mistake. The vet today said he needs the Baytril as always to be give orally with the same strength he as always had. This is the reason he as to go in today for the vet to check him all over to make sure he is OK. The Baytril they gave me was meant for injections & not to be given orally.

Did the bottle have a screw top lid or a rubber seal on it?

The vet couldn't apologise enough. He said that he must of hit the wrong key when typing out the label!!!!

He had to check Pepe's gums & tongue. The company said to the vet that the over dose can course harm to the gums & tongue. He couldn't see anything wrong with Pepe at all. I have to take him back next week for another check up to see if there is any harm then.

I am so relieved that all is well. Thanks everyone for helping :wave:

The vet couldn't apologise enough. He said that he must of hit the wrong key when typing out the label!!!!

He had to check Pepe's gums & tongue. The company said to the vet that the over dose can course harm to the gums & tongue. He couldn't see anything wrong with Pepe at all. I have to take him back next week for another check up to see if there is any harm then.

I am so relieved that all is well. Thanks everyone for helping :wave:

So glad to hear he's ok xx

Glad he is ok, I can't even begin to imagine how they managed to do that.
I'd be inclined to say you shouldn't have to pay for the re- examines!

This.

In all honesty, i'd probably right a letter of complaint to the practice manager. Silly mistakes like this cause deaths, it's basic negligence in my opinion.

I was so mad inside but kept my cool. I wouldn't dream of making them a payment & if they do ask then I would let them have it. This made me feel so ill I thought the worse. I don't believe they should be so careless. I am still trying to find the company's details so I can call them. I don't believe that the vet told me all the truth about the side efforts. They was to keen to get him him the same day & then again next week!

GrahamL
I was thinking of writing a letter of complaint today, as letting the vet know I am not happy doesn't go far. I thank God he isn't a doctor!!!

Thanks again to everyone. Now I am off again to try & find the details of Baytril so I can call them myself.

Back