• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on back teeth spurs?

Mischief will have to have his back tooth burred every 6-12 months which means GA as it is not fixable and you can't take a back tooth out or it can break the buns jaw. :( Mischief also has problems with his incisors so will be having them out because of the stress of going to the vet every month for them burring down and also the pain of them coming through.

My question is, wont the back tooth spurs be painful for him when they are growing? :cry:

I imagine they would hurt unless they were trimmed enough. What's his diet? I noticed Flash had long front teeth a few months ago and after a few weeks of a diet of 97% hay, loads of different types to encourage him to eat it, and the odd pellet or scrap of veg, he was back to normal

Mischief will have to have his back tooth burred every 6-12 months as it is not fixable and you can't take a back tooth out or it can break the buns jaw. :( Mischief will be having his incisors out because of the stress of going to the vet every month for them burring down and also the pain of them coming through.

My question is, wont the back tooth spurs be painful for him when they are growing? :cry:

Not as they develop, but eventually as they will scratch his cheeks/tongue.
Best to get them checked well before you think a Dental is due.

So if he has been needing Dentals every 6 months I'd get them checked at 4 months. Obviously before if you suspect a problem.

I imagine they would hurt unless they were trimmed enough. What's his diet? I noticed Flash had long front teeth a few months ago and after a few weeks of a diet of 97% hay, loads of different types to encourage him to eat it, and the odd pellet or scrap of veg, he was back to normal

a scoop full of pellets, loads of hay and a bit of veg each day. It's not his diet that affects his teeth unfortunately. As he was from an accidental litter and hasn't been bred for good health, his teeth alignment is pretty much messed up. His bottom front teeth never met up with the top ones to grind properly so became over grown and needed burring every month and still do which is why we will be having them removed. Then the top ones became diseased, one fell out, the other was removed. Then, he formed a spur on his back tooth and apparently it will come back between 6-12 months. :(

My Ginger had terrible trouble with spurs on his back teeth. They needed burring every 3-4 weeks. Obviously the stress wasn't great, but he never had a problem with the GA's and it was definately worth it. The first sign would be that he'd stop eating hay, then he'd struggle to eat his veg. Look out for this, and any weight loss/sticky poos/tooth grinding. Vibes for your boy.

Back