• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just got back from the vets, Can someone explain this to me.

Cat129

Warren Scout
Just got back from the vets because bugs has got ear mites (From his very expensive hay:censored:) and they have given him Xeno 450 I have to give him 2 vials to the skin now and then 2 more in 2 weeks. Also my brillaint vet noticed he was going into statis and I have to give him 2ml of Fibreplex 3 x a day, and 0.56ml of Baytril 2 x a day. And he is booked in for a dental on Monday

All of the above is fine im happy with that, but then I had to sign a discolure form because the next drug hasnt been approved for rabbits, Its called Loxicom and I have to give him 0.8ml once a day. Its a painkiller for dogs:shock: Is this safe? I figured if anyone knew then someone on here would let me know.

It is like Metacam, that is not licenced for use on Rabbits so you need to agree to let the vet use it unlicenced.

when my rabbit had ear mites i just took him to the vet and they gave him an injections and it all cleared up in a week

It is safe tho?

If your vets have prescribed it, you would assume so :)

I also have to sign disclosure forms for Ginger, as she's on Depocillin, which again, isn't licensed for rabbits.

There are barely any medicines licensed for use on rabbits, but lots work, so you just have to be aware :)

If your vets have prescribed it, you would assume so :)

I also have to sign disclosure forms for Ginger, as she's on Depocillin, which again, isn't licensed for rabbits.

There are barely any medicines licensed for use on rabbits, but lots work, so you just have to be aware :)

I agree!

Dont think your vet would prescribe something that could possibly harm your bun. As Graham has said there arent that many licensed medicines for rabbits.

Just got back from the vets because bugs has got ear mites (From his very expensive hay:censored:) and they have given him Xeno 450 I have to give him 2 vials to the skin now and then 2 more in 2 weeks. Also my brillaint vet noticed he was going into statis and I have to give him 2ml of Fibreplex 3 x a day, and 0.56ml of Baytril 2 x a day. And he is booked in for a dental on Monday

All of the above is fine im happy with that, but then I had to sign a discolure form because the next drug hasnt been approved for rabbits, Its called Loxicom and I have to give him 0.8ml once a day. Its a painkiller for dogs:shock: Is this safe? I figured if anyone knew then someone on here would let me know.

How did your vet notice he was going into Stasis? The treatments don't sound like the norm for Stasis, it's normally gut motility and fluids, the Fibreplex and Baytril sound more preventative. I've not heard of the other drug so can't comment. Re the Xeno 450 have a look at this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264543 for some advice and double check the amount, it's usually 1 tube fortnightly and best to space out where you apply it on the back of the neck area rather than all in one spot. Whats wrong with his teeth poor boy?

Last edited:
I am slightly confused as to what the baytril is for?

Loxicom is exactly the same drug as metacam - they are both variations of meloxicam which is a Non Steriod Anti Inflamatory Drug. Its very important bunnies have pain relief when they are in stasis.

The vet noticed because she felt his tummy and she said it was full, Then Bugs very kindly pooped on the vets table and it was a very small poop for him. She then checked his back teeth and noticed they were sharper than last time she saw him in November. I did feel sorry for him though because he was trying to jump on me for a cuddle at the vets and he never does this so I knew something was wrong.

I am slightly confused as to what the baytril is for?

Loxicom is exactly the same drug as metacam - they are both variations of meloxicam which is a Non Steriod Anti Inflamatory Drug. Its very important bunnies have pain relief when they are in stasis.

I'd guess the baytril was to perhaps treat for any secondary infection caused by the mights i guess?

That said, baytril is pretty useless as far as ears are concerned from what i understand, but maybe the vet is just being a bit over-protective.

Perhaps the vet didnt think fluids were needed at the time? :?

Dont think your vet would prescribe something that could possibly harm your bun. As Graham has said there arent that many licensed medicines for rabbits.

Did you not see Kris's thread this morning? She was prescribed something which could of killed the bunny in question. Sadly some vets are not as clued up as they should be so if I was concerned I'd always ask here.

Please don't take this as scare mongering as lots of vets are brilliant. But as with anything you will always get a few rouges.

The vet noticed because she felt his tummy and she said it was full, Then Bugs very kindly pooped on the vets table and it was a very small poop for him. She then checked his back teeth and noticed they were sharper than last time she saw him in November. I did feel sorry for him though because he was trying to jump on me for a cuddle at the vets and he never does this so I knew something was wrong.

Had he been eating and drinking normally up to then?

Perhaps the vet didnt think fluids were needed at the time?

None of my stasis buns have ever had fluid as thankfully we've always caught it in the early stages and they'd not yet come dehydrated and we still drinking on their own. I'm guessing if this was noticed by a vet bunny is still eating/drinking fine and it was by feeling/listen to the buns gut they noticed a prob?

Did you not see Kris's thread this morning? She was prescribed something which could of killed the bunny in question. Sadly some vets are not as clued up as they should be so if I was concerned I'd always ask here.

Please don't take this as scare mongering as lots of vets are brilliant. But as with anything you will always get a few rouges.

I can't say i did Amy, which one? (could you linky?):shock:

Perhaps i shuold rephrase my post :?

Agree some vets are better than others though.:wave:

Im not 100% but I think that maybe the baytril is because he has been a little underweather and had sniffles a couple of weeks ago. Honestly I have no ideas, im a bit useless:oops:. I let the vet do her thing say thak you and then when I get home realise what I should have asked.

Yes I did see Kris's post this morning which is why I asked before I have given anything to him.

ETA: he has been drinking fine and only reduced his eating a little bit.

Yes I did see Kris's post this morning which is why I asked before I have given anything to him.

Sorry I meant you were right to ask as you were concerned.

I was refering to the comments that a vet wouldn't prescribe something harmful.

Back