• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

"snuffles" U/D no 68 Were doing great!

beccimarie

Mama Doe
I have done a thread in rabbit chat http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=259501 but i thought it would be better in here, does anyone hae any knowledge they can share, casper has been diagnosed with it and i know very little about the snuffles as my buns have never suffered with it, any information would be great i have been given a anti biotic injection i give every 3 days which seems to be making progress, it seems to be a on - going thing what is the on going treatment and i have another bun, i have read its contagious :shock: does that mean she will get it too! he does not have discharge from his nose the only syptoms he has is a snort from his nose and the vet has said his chest is cloggy on the right side :cry: poor casper :cry:

Last edited:
wow thank you :) you seem to know alot about the snuffles jacks-jane,says on the middle one they will have to be treated every 6-12 months which isnt as bad as i thought, says that sometimes the syptoms come back after the anti biotics :( hope that doesnt happen!!

Do most buns with the snuffles live a happy life? casper cant have metacam all the time because is gives him a upset belly :(

Last edited:
wow thank you :) you seem to know alot about the snuffles jacks-jane,says on the middle one they will have to be treated every 6-12 months which isnt as bad as i thought, says that sometimes the syptoms come back after the anti biotics :( hope that doesnt happen!!

Do most buns with the snuffles live a happy life?
casper cant have metacam all the time because is gives him a upset belly :(

Each case is different with regards to how 'Snuffles' effects life expectancy. Some Rabbits can have one 'active episode' and never relapse. Others have several relapses, especially at times of stress. Dental Rabbits with signs of Snuffles often have very frequent relapses.

The condition is more serious if the lungs become effected.

I hope Casper continues to respond well to treatment :)

Each case is different with regards to how 'Snuffles' effects life expectancy. Some Rabbits can have one 'active episode' and never relapse. Others have several relapses, especially at times of stress. Dental Rabbits with signs of Snuffles often have very frequent relapses.

The condition is more serious if the lungs become effected.

I hope Casper continues to respond well to treatment :)

o no :( casper is a dental :(bun and the only place it has affected is his chest on the right side :(

I did a lot of reading about pasturella when we got Eli as he was snuffly when we got him and, while I'm no expert, I hope this may be some help.

It seemed there was mixed opinion on whether it was contagious but the more official places sounded like it was a bacteria that most rabbits have been exposed to and don't react to. It's only those with a weaker immune system that will be affected.

It's best caught before it spreads to the lungs, when it becomes more serious, but rabbits can still live perfectly happy lives with it. treatment varies a lot bun to bun.

Eli had leaky eyes, a runny nose and was sneezing when we brought him home, he had a concentrated injection and a short course of antibiotics straight away which basically got rid of the snuffling and the sneezing but his eyes were still a touch leaky - not as bad as they were at first though.
Once he'd had his jabs and was doing ok we had him neutered and they flushed his tear duct at the same time which totally sorted his eyes out.

Now that he's bonded I do notice the girls grooming his eyes quite often so I think without them his eyes may still be a little leaky but he's a very happy bun and hasn't needed any medication since.

Neither of the girls have shown any signs of the infection and they have been together for several months now.

Thank you everyone for all your post i will try to keep you all updated on his progress im very busy watching casper at the moment, today he seems alot better, but he had his injection yesterday so i think thats perked him up, i am looking into nebulisers and he is back at the vets friday for a update i think i will ask for a longer course of the anti biotics for him, thank you for everyones support, it is a very difficult condition to gt under control as i have found out so all the support is great! :wave:

Will be looking out for updates, so pleased he is more comfortable. :) Casper is such a special little bunny. :love: Hope he will be feeling up to a photo or two soon. ;)

Will be looking out for updates, so pleased he is more comfortable. :) Casper is such a special little bunny. :love: Hope he will be feeling up to a photo or two soon. ;)

i will see what i can do tomorrow about a little photo, casper is quite a poser so im sure he will be happy to show off a photo or two :lol: he is a very special little man who has been through alot for a little bun! and comes back fighting each time! :) im very tired though, think its stress hopefully i can get a good nights sleep knowing he is feeling better tonight :)

Merlin had snuffles he lives with Wesley and has done since last year and Wesley touchwood has no signs. Merlin was on Metacam and dipocilin injections for a few months. He does still get a bit a snotty very ocassionally. To boost his immune system I give him echinacea in his water on an on off basis and try to give him lots of immune system herbs i.e. plantain.

Merlin had snuffles he lives with Wesley and has done since last year and Wesley touchwood has no signs. Merlin was on Metacam and dipocilin injections for a few months. He does still get a bit a snotty very ocassionally. To boost his immune system I give him echinacea in his water on an on off basis and try to give him lots of immune system herbs i.e. plantain.

i have actually been given them plantain so that was lucky as i did not know it was a immune system herb, unfortunately casper is very fussy when he is ill so trying to get it down him will be a different story but poppy eats alot of it so atleast it will hopefully keep her immune system up so she does not get it, she is 3 and has never had any health issues so i think she has a good chance of not getting it :) we are having another good day today, casper ran to his hay trough and was forging for his fav veggies not snuffle noises this morning, he has his injection tonight so i think we are making slow progress, i will ask Friday for some more antibiotics though i want it to be out of his system.

i have actually been given them plantain so that was lucky as i did not know it was a immune system herb, unfortunately casper is very fussy when he is ill so trying to get it down him will be a different story but poppy eats alot of it so atleast it will hopefully keep her immune system up so she does not get it, she is 3 and has never had any health issues so i think she has a good chance of not getting it :) we are having another good day today, casper ran to his hay trough and was forging for his fav veggies not snuffle noises this morning, he has his injection tonight so i think we are making slow progress, i will ask Friday for some more antibiotics though i want it to be out of his system.

So pleased he is having a good day. It does take a while for them to show improvement so that is good.

:wave: Widget has a bit of snuffles and has been on an oral course of septrin for the past week, but I don't think it has made much difference to be honest. She's not snotty but snorts a lot when she's eating and one side of her lungs is congested. She's sounded about the same for the past week, although I noticed she was snorting more this morning so I'm a bit worried about that. She's still pretty active, though I have noticed she seems to want to sleep a bit more than before. I'm due to give the vets a ring today to update on her progress. Should I ask about injections for her? :?

ETA: just looking at the first of Jacks-Jane's links and it would appear Septrin is not particularly effective against Snuffles! Which antibiotics do you all use?

Last edited:
Santa had chronic snuffles for years - as well as antibiotics I found daily metacam to be incredibly helpful - it is anti-inflammatory so it just soothes all those inflamed membranes in the nose, reducing swelling so the bun can breathe more easily. Also a small pinch of bisolvon daily helped, because it thins the mucus so it helps the pus to drain away a little more easily, and nebulising with saline and F10 solution. I would definitely push to try some metacam if you can though as I think that is probably the easiest thing to make quite a big difference in my experience. Good luck x

Santa had chronic snuffles for years - as well as antibiotics I found daily metacam to be incredibly helpful - it is anti-inflammatory so it just soothes all those inflamed membranes in the nose, reducing swelling so the bun can breathe more easily. Also a small pinch of bisolvon daily helped, because it thins the mucus so it helps the pus to drain away a little more easily, and nebulising with saline and F10 solution. I would definitely push to try some metacam if you can though as I think that is probably the easiest thing to make quite a big difference in my experience. Good luck x

i had been given casper metcam but it seems to have given him diarrohea so i had to stop but vet is happy with the progress without metacam :)

Been to the vets today

She listened to casper chest and.... ITS CLEAR!! not to say were out of deep waters but we are making progress!!!! She has given me 5 more injections which will last him 15 days this will mean he would have been on them a month, i asked about a nebuliser and she said it may be worth it for the future as now he has had it once the chances are he will have snuffles again, its more about keeping them stable more then curing them, but im so glad i have my casper back! and i have found a new veg he likes!! rocket! fussy casper has seen a new light and as soon as i put him down into the garden after the vets he ran to eat some grass :love::love:

Back