• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unexplained weight loss - the next step

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Okay so earlier this year Mae suddenly lost alot of weight, she went from over a kg (not sure exactly how much) to 690g at her lowest. She had a dental which didnt really need doing as the spur was tiny, she also had a blood test which didnt show anything.
I managed to get her weight up to 1030g but after her stasis episodeshe is down to 910g (ish)
She isnt an old rabbit, shes just over a year old.
What should be my next step with her?

vet said I would of noticed worms in her poo if they were bad enough to cause serious weight loss

I did wonder, but thought it might be worth mentioning on the off chance.

The only reason I have experienced is chest infection/damage. How is her breathing?

How rabbit savvy is your vet? If they have just written her off as a skinny rabbit I would head for a second opinion.

Has she had x-rays to check heart, chest etc?

The only reason I have experienced is chest infection/damage. How is her breathing?

How rabbit savvy is your vet? If they have just written her off as a skinny rabbit I would head for a second opinion.

Has she had x-rays to check heart, chest etc?

Her breathing is fine, we had a tiny bit of sneezing recently but it stopped after a few sneezes.
My vet is fairly savvy, he wanted me to feed her up and if she kept loosing or didnt gain he was going to refer us to a specalist.
She hasnt had any xrays :wave:

Does she live with any other Rabbits ?

What is her EXACT daily diet ?

She lives with Sebastian.

Before the stasis - 2 handfulls of junior and dwarf pellets (just let her eat until she had her fill) handfull of greens, hay and grass everyday and porridge made with water once or twice a week.

Now - 1 or 2 handfulls of pellets (slowly bringing this up) a handfull of greens between them and hay everyday. She is still on critical care, this can be anywhere between 2 pippets to 10 a day (split into 2 "meals") with porridge once so far but she wasnt really interested in it this time.
She's also on Metacloprimide and Zantac until the bottles are finished :wave:

I think next step would be x-rays :wave: ETA when I was getting tests done on Jasmine the vet said it could be an infection and x-rays would tell him where it was. Also people mentioned blockages on my thread which would be picked up by an x-ray. Good luck hun I'm going through the same at the minute and it's awful I know :(

Last edited:
I think next step would be x-rays :wave: ETA when I was getting tests done on Jasmine the vet said it could be an infection and x-rays would tell him where it was. Also people mentioned blockages on my thread which would be picked up by an x-ray. Good luck hun I'm going through the same at the minute and it's awful I know :(

Will infection not of shown up on a blood test? How heavy does a rabbit need to be to have an xray :? suppose I better get saving :roll:
Thankyou and good luck to you and Jasmine

Will infection not of shown up on a blood test? How heavy does a rabbit need to be to have an xray :? suppose I better get saving :roll:
Thankyou and good luck to you and Jasmine

It might have. I don't know but Jas was 1.2kg when she had hers done and she's a medium-sized rabbit :cry: mine were surprisingly reasonable, I got bloods and x-rays for £180 which I know is expensive but it's still not a ridiculous amount.
Thanks :wave: I'll let you know if we ever get to the bottom of it! We thought it was her teeth but she is still losing weight, which could be her belly emptying because of her dental but also could mean the dental didn't work.

It might have. I don't know but Jas was 1.2kg when she had hers done and she's a medium-sized rabbit :cry: mine were surprisingly reasonable, I got bloods and x-rays for £180 which I know is expensive but it's still not a ridiculous amount.
Thanks :wave: I'll let you know if we ever get to the bottom of it! We thought it was her teeth but she is still losing weight, which could be her belly emptying because of her dental but also could mean the dental didn't work.

hmm! Will have to check, its £60 for a blood test or dental at my vets so shouldnt be tooo much :? yeah I thought Mae's problem was her teeth! My old vets told me it was :roll:

Back