• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Sophie is going deaf?

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Or maybe she already is...? The other day she was lying next to the sofa, and my walking stick, which was leaning against the sofa, fell over close to her, which makes a horribly loud noise on the hard floor, and she gave no reaction at all. So, I've been paying some attention to how she reacts to sounds, and she... doesn't. She doesn't react at all. I can make all the noise I want and her ears won't move. She only reacts when she sees Casper doing so. She hasn't been coming over when I make the treat noise or when I call her name for a while now, but I honestly didn't think anything of it; I figured she just didn't want to come over. She's getting her vaccinations in two weeks, so I'll see what the vet thinks then. Maybe they can test her hearing somehow?

It does sound as though there's some hearing loss there. I'm sure I read somewhere that deafness is pretty common in white cats. I wonder if it's the same with rabbits?

Hopefully J&B will be along soon to give advice on hearing tests and caring for a deaf bunny. But it does sound as though she's adapting pretty well.

It does sound as though there's some hearing loss there. I'm sure I read somewhere that deafness is pretty common in white cats. I wonder if it's the same with rabbits?

Hopefully J&B will be along soon to give advice on hearing tests and caring for a deaf bunny. But it does sound as though she's adapting pretty well.
Hmm, I do know deafness is common in white rabbits with blue eyes, but I'm not sure about white rabbits in general?

Yeah, I think she is adapting well. I feel bad that I haven't noticed sooner, but that does mean that she's coping well, I guess, or else I would've noticed her being stressed about something.

Boo has been deaf since I got her (young adult) & Mouse went deaf - I found this old thread from 2017 when she went temporarily deaf http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?464532-I-m-pretty-sure-Mouse-is-deaf-now-or-maybe-not but then it went permanent.

I have to say I haven't found vets useful in diagnosing or testing deafness. I'm pretty sure with Boo they said the same tests we'd do would be the same as a vet would do so more effective in the home environment. Of course it'll still be a useful discussion to have with your vet & she can have thorough ear exam & check wax isn't the culprit.

I have a theory that lots of lop bunnies are deaf - though this theory might be made up to make myself feel better:lol:

From my experience of watching deaf bunnies they handle it really well. For Boo she just sleeps longer & harder

My Treacle was deaf. I didn't actually realise till one day when she was trying to climb on the noisy Vax cleaner while I was using it. I could clap behind her head really close, and no reaction at all. She was black/white/grey lop.

My Treacle was deaf. I didn't actually realise till one day when she was trying to climb on the noisy Vax cleaner while I was using it. I could clap behind her head really close, and no reaction at all. She was black/white/grey lop.

ha ha. It was a hoover that made me realise Boo was deaf too. I hoovered all around her with Henry & she didn't stir - though this isn't right

One of my bridge bunnies, Boots, was pretty deaf, if not totally deaf. His sense of smell made up for it, he could smell a banana being peeled 2 rooms away:lol: he was a white lop.

Boo has been deaf since I got her (young adult) & Mouse went deaf - I found this old thread from 2017 when she went temporarily deaf http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?464532-I-m-pretty-sure-Mouse-is-deaf-now-or-maybe-not but then it went permanent.

I have to say I haven't found vets useful in diagnosing or testing deafness. I'm pretty sure with Boo they said the same tests we'd do would be the same as a vet would do so more effective in the home environment. Of course it'll still be a useful discussion to have with your vet & she can have thorough ear exam & check wax isn't the culprit.

I have a theory that lots of lop bunnies are deaf - though this theory might be made up to make myself feel better:lol:

From my experience of watching deaf bunnies they handle it really well. For Boo she just sleeps longer & harder
Thank you for looking up that thread. It was an interesting read. Sophie's exactly like Mousey was then. How odd that her hearing returned eventually only for it to go away permanently later.

That's a bit disappointing that vets can't do anything more than we can do at home. Your mentioning the earwax made me think that it's better to see if they can maybe check her ears tomorrow when she's having her laser treatment, rather than wait until her vaccination appointment. Maybe it is just some earwax!

I think you're right, actually. :lol: I've read quite often that a lot of lop bunnies are hard of hearing because of the shape of their ear canal, and that deafness is much more common among them than among uppy-eared rabbits.

That's reassuring to hear that in your experience deaf bunnies handle it well. Boo does always seem to be very good at sleeping in her sleeping photos. :love:

Aw, I didn't know that about Treacle. Did she cope well with it, being deaf? Sophie's never been bothered by the hoover, so I guess I can't test her hearing that way. ;)

One of my bridge bunnies, Boots, was pretty deaf, if not totally deaf. His sense of smell made up for it, he could smell a banana being peeled 2 rooms away:lol: he was a white lop.
Wow, that's an impressive sense of smell! Sounds like being pretty deaf at least didn't get in the way of his bananas, which is very important. :lol:

Wow, that's an impressive sense of smell! Sounds like being pretty deaf at least didn't get in the way of his bananas, which is very important. :lol:

I think he adapted very well! He was on my knee before I’d even started on a banana, begging for a bit!

I’m pretty sure he used other senses to compensate, I think he would sense me coming into his room by feeling the tiny vibrations of me walking in. Because if I hadn’t got slippers on it would make him jump when I went in!

I think he adapted very well! He was on my knee before I’d even started on a banana, begging for a bit!

I’m pretty sure he used other senses to compensate, I think he would sense me coming into his room by feeling the tiny vibrations of me walking in. Because if I hadn’t got slippers on it would make him jump when I went in!
Aww, he must've really loved bananas! That's good to hear that he adapted very well.

Ah, that makes sense, now that you mention it. Bunnies are so close to the ground, they must feel us when we walk around...

Aww, he must've really loved bananas! That's good to hear that he adapted very well.

Ah, that makes sense, now that you mention it. Bunnies are so close to the ground, they must feel us when we walk around...

He loved all food :lol: it was amazing how well he adapted, no one would really know he was deaf.

Hm, she did react to some accidental loud noises earlier, so she does have some hearing.

ha ha, this is getting reminiscent of my 5 year old thread, you just need to update the title by adding maybe not :lol:

Is she still able to get her back feet in her ears?

He loved all food :lol: it was amazing how well he adapted, no one would really know he was deaf.
Aw. :lol: I'm glad he adapted so well that you wouldn't even know he was deaf.

ha ha, this is getting reminiscent of my 5 year old thread, you just need to update the title by adding maybe not :lol:

Is she still able to get her back feet in her ears?
:lol:

That's a good question. I don't know, to be honest. I don't remember seeing her put her back feet in her ears recently now that I think about it, but I don't know if that's because she hasn't done it or because I forget stuff. Her ears are always clean when I check them, so I think she can probably still do it? But I can't see inside her ears, of course...

The vet is going to check Sophie's ears when she has her next laser appointment. I think there wasn't time today, or there wasn't a vet available, which is totally fine.

that's good to have it in place but I agree theres no harm in waiting a few days.

I meant to ask how Sophies modelling photos were?

that's good to have it in place but I agree theres no harm in waiting a few days.

I meant to ask how Sophies modelling photos were?
I'm glad you agree.

Oh, that's so nice of you to ask. They never sent me the photos, they must've forgotten, but I saw them on their social media and they were really great. Sophie is clearly a professional super model. I was disappointed that nobody commented on how cute she was!

So, I'm really confused. :lol: The other day when I was testing her hearing she didn't react to anything at all, but yesterday she reacted to some things, and today she seems to hear most things. She heard me cough earlier, and she heard Casper sneeze, and several other things. She still doesn't react to her name or the treat noise, though. Maybe she's just ignoring me...?

So, I'm really confused. :lol: The other day when I was testing her hearing she didn't react to anything at all, but yesterday she reacted to some things, and today she seems to hear most things. She heard me cough earlier, and she heard Casper sneeze, and several other things. She still doesn't react to her name or the treat noise, though. Maybe she's just ignoring me...?

Oh bless her, maybe her ears were a little blocked ? or yes maybe just ignoring you :lol:

OMG :lol: Sophie that is so rude but adorably rabbity of you. Yes, I think that has to be the conclusion:lol: Have you been particularly demanding of late - daring to talk to them without cause? that kind of thing

I'm pleased her modelling photos turned out so well. I'd be grumpy nobody said how lovely she too. Really good that other rabbit owners will be encouraged to get laser treatment too, so you & Sophie potentially will help other elderly & arthritic bunnies:love:

Back