• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problem in my rabbit, possible infection?

When I first got him, he had a whitish discharge from one eye. We took him to the vet, he said it might be an infection and gave us vertrachloracin for his eye, and gave oral antibiotics to be sure (he said). Now a month later it is back...or maybe it never left. I'm not sure what to thing because it is never a lot at once, it just seeps from the front of the eye down into the little..I'm not sure what to call it so I'll link this http://www.sequenza21.com/Black Rabbit Eye.jpg the area at the front of his eye, the tiny corner that is there, it just gathers right outside his eye, at the front, outside his eye resying on as a tiny white goop..only about as big/wide as the hole on a pin, but it becomes a little bigger over time before i wipe it away, so I am not sure how big it actually becomes if i were to leave it alone. I don't know what to do...not to sound cheap but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do for it for the next few days before the inevitable visit to the vet, and if this is normal or not for an eye infection, or normal for rabbits in general, because I don't even know what a rabbit eye crusty looks like, and though this only occurs in one eye I was wondering if it might be that.
Thanks for any advice anyone can give, and if anyone can find a picture of a rabbit eye infection at an early stage, before all the fur starts leaving, it would be appreciated. He did get this in the middle of last month, but i used the antibiotic again and it left...or so it seemed till now. Culture tests and my vet himself is quite expensive, so I thought I'd just try to get some comments before going.

If you feel your vet is expensive, post something in rabbit chat about finding a bunny savvy vet (mention your area too in the title).

Your bunny may need the tear ducts flushing. Did the vet check his teeth?

I have found Tiacil helpful to clear any infections, maybe a different eye drop is needed before you go down the "culture" route.

Back