• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Baby has myxi :'(

leldridge

New Kit
My little boy was diagnosed with nodular myxi today. We've moved him inside (seperating him from his devastated girlfriend) and he's on antibiotics. Fingers crossed he'll get better.

Has anybody else had the nodular kind? I'm worried that even if he does get better the pair might never be able to move back in...

I'm so sorry. I hope he can make a full recovery.

One of Capel's rabbits had this a couple of years ago and then got it again the following year. She made a full recovery from it both times.

I had 2 rabbits with it; both were fine and are now running round the garden together...be wary of bringing him in in terms of him getting used to warmer temps?

I am so sorry to hear this. It must be so frightening. I could be wrong, but I thought separating them could make it worse as he'll be pining and not fighting the illness as well?

There are a few threads recently about this, which may be useful to you.
I personally wouldn't separate as they will find it more stressful.
Lots of vibes to your little bun.

I'm very sorry.

I would suggest using the search function and looking for Viola Rose (parsnipbun) and also Autumn (starlightrabbitrescue) who both had nodular myxo. Viola Rose is fighting fit again now but sadly Autumn died. Both those threads are from this tiem last year.

Also, Cloud (belonging to Georgie someone?) had mild nodular myxo this year and Hawthorn (parsnipbun) has full blown myxi but it fighting amazingly well.

I would look for all those threads and have a good read.

There is also many debates on whether or not to separate them from their bonded friend. Hawthorn has not been. I don't think Autumn or Viola Rose were either.

You're definitely right to bring him in because the warmed temperatures can definitely help.

What medication is he on?

Oops sorry should have clarified - good to bring him in as Sky o says but be careful when getting him used to being outside again as the temp drop will be bad for him especially if he's just been ill. My vet advised not separating my pair and the girl did catch it but recovered well.

Oops sorry should have clarified - good to bring him in as Sky o says but be careful when getting him used to being outside again as the temp drop will be bad for him especially if he's just been ill. My vet advised not separating my pair and the girl did catch it but recovered well.

I agree, this is a really important point. He will need to be in until the warmer weather in spring because he won't be equipped to deal with the cold weather outside if he recovers.

At the moment he's on antibiotics for a cut which the vet says are fine for treating him temporarily, we're going back tomorrow to talk about it some more and sort things out properly, the vet called me this afternoon after our morning appointment with the new so everything's still a bit hectic.

She recommended seperating them at least for now so I've followed her advise, but I'm aware of the dangers of seperating them long term. At the moment I just have to do what's best for their health and although it's stressful for them to be apart they've only been bonded for a couple months (both of them had their myxi jabs just before they were bonded in August) and they bonded really well so fingers crossed they can go back together smoothly asap.

If I have to rebond them that's just something I'll have to do. I'm more worried about getting him better and protecting her at the moment :S

I see you are near Cambridge - I am Cambridge based and have dealt with nodular myxi twice now and am in the middle of dealing with full blown myxi.

My vets are fantastic with it and I also can give lots of hints as to what helps the buns to cope with it - do PM me if you want.

A week later my little boy seems to be improving, but now his lady has the classic symptoms. She hates her antibiotics and looks awful with her eyes. I've had to move them both inside even though they usually live in the garden so I can keep an eye on them and give them their respective treatments.

Twice a day every day I'm doing eyedrops, antibiotics twice over, and antiseptic. It's exhausting and I'm a student so I have my days lessons and essays etc every day too. And to top it all off no insurance, although thankfully I don't have to worry too much about the cost.

This is a complete nightmare, I didn't even realise when I first got my buns that vaccinated rabbits could still get this disease. I'll know better next time.

I do hope your rabbit gets well soon.
I had a rabbit with nodular myxi who made a full recovery aged 9yrs.
sue:wave:

A week later my little boy seems to be improving, but now his lady has the classic symptoms. She hates her antibiotics and looks awful with her eyes. I've had to move them both inside even though they usually live in the garden so I can keep an eye on them and give them their respective treatments.

Twice a day every day I'm doing eyedrops, antibiotics twice over, and antiseptic. It's exhausting and I'm a student so I have my days lessons and essays etc every day too. And to top it all off no insurance, although thankfully I don't have to worry too much about the cost.

This is a complete nightmare, I didn't even realise when I first got my buns that vaccinated rabbits could still get this disease. I'll know better next time.

I am really sorry to hear this -

Has she got a congested nasal passage at all? If so I really do recommend purchase of a nebuliser which can be used in conjunction with a wrapped carry cage to provide a sealed chamber wrap with cling film).

You can nebulise a substance called F10 which is anti-bacterial on face, nasal passages and lungs.

I am interested to hear they were jabbed in August. Mine were also jabbed in August as were some others I know.

Has your vet reported it to the vaccine company?

I very much suspect we are looking at a vaccine failure.

She's not having trouble breathing at the moment, but thankyou for the advice.

The good news is I've put them back together now she's ill too, rarely have I seen a bunny do quite so much licking :) Although it's more effort for me given I have to supervise because I don't have a cage big enough for both and can't afford a playpen at the moment, I'm glad they can spend a few hours together each day.

I'm not sure if the vet's reported it to the vaccine company, I'll mention it to him when we go in for our next weekly check up. But the one in August was the first innoculation my female has had, so if the vaccine had failed I think she would likely be a lot worse than she is currrently, unless she has a surprising natural immunity (unlikely since she's an albino). She first started to have eye troubles on Wednesday so if she had no immunity I doubt I'd have her now.

I'm rather suspicious of a hedgehog that was in my garden about three weeks ago. Myxi is a big problem for the wild rabbits in the park near to my house, and although it may be unfair, I'm inclined to blame the hedgehog and it's fleas. That adds up right on the timeline too. And I'm not going to do anything to the hedgehog, so I don't see much harm in blaming him.

Hi

the nasal congestion usually happens in the 2nd to 4th week - you will need Bisolvon and a nebuliser.

For the first week they seem to do really well and eat like little pigs!

Vets should always report this to the vaccine company otherwise the company does not know if it has a batch failure or new strains are developing. PLEASE ask him to do so.

Good luck - do OM if you need any advice

Back